Advice Regarding Amount of Cotton To Damp; in Dallas II Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hello,

I was wondering how much cotton should be used to properly damp a Dallas II enclosure with Fostex 206 En drivers.

P.S

Forgive me if this topic has already be answered

Thank you,

Attachments

• Size Comparison.JPG
    Size Comparison.JPG
    952.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Cotton Balls.jpg
    Cotton Balls.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Speakers.JPG
    Speakers.JPG
    918.4 KB · Views: 102

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I'd use wool or acousta-stuf instead of cotton.

When I built my Sachikos I lined the chamber on the back, bottom and one side with wool felt and put a little bit of carded wool in the bottom of the chamber and then a bit in the throat. I tried it without any in the throat and it was much better with it in. You're going to need to experiment with what sounds best to you.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I'd use wool or acousta-stuf instead of cotton.

When I built my Sachikos I lined the chamber on the back, bottom and one side with wool felt and put a little bit of carded wool in the bottom of the chamber and then a bit in the throat. I tried it without any in the throat and it was much better with it in. You're going to need to experiment with what sounds best to you.
Thank you for the suggestions and compliments!

There are several spaces in the corners and one in the interior structure, would you recommend stuffing them?

P.S Out of curiosity, why is wool superior to cotton?

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Wool and Acousta-Stuf aren't smooth filaments on a microscopic level like polyfill and do a much better job of damping sound. Wool is expensive and can be eaten by moths but I've used wool felt ($$$) to line cabinet walls and then put Acousta-Stuf inside areas where I wanted to fill volume. Cotton might not be bad but I'm not sure if it is as good as wool or Acousta-Stuf.

If I was building cabinets that had voids I'd fill them with clean sand as long as it didn't make them top heavy and unstable. Sand is a good mass loading/damping material.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.