Here we go again. 25 x 1" driver PA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep, I want to go even smaller and lighter. I have access to some of these 1" x 25 units. Specs and polars charts are in PDFs at bottom. They claim 96 db and 10 to 250 watt rating crossed at 120 (no way but I will do 250 or so.... Thoughts? I could even do 50 of them??? I can get them at a real bargain price.
PHA-25

Last edited:
I am thinking medium levels (a single act but I do play left hand bass) I am planning on a Hypex DSP amp, and building a 6" Tang band "sub" cube sub with a passive radiator, perhaps iso stacked . Its about size . I want a Hoffman's iron law breaking pa (-: I will choose to lose the "efficiency" and use amp power as much as possible. Steep crossover slopes to protect the little 1" units, though they claim a lot of power handling.... don't need anything below 60hz, just a decent level. I see a lot of these crossed over a bit higher than 250 as well

I wouldn't expect strong performance below 500hz or so at PA levels.

Each column has roughly the same cone area as a 5-6" cone. It could work, but a decent 2-way on a stick would outperform it.

25 1" drivers crossed over steeply no lower than 250 ought to be pretty loud huh? My B&W 801s use a 5" mid and yes, they could be horribly misused as a PA in the places I play. (That would be a travesty)

GM

Joined 2003
Well, ideally we want a pristine 250-2500 Hz telephone BW, so nowadays with digital; 4th @ 125 Hz or 62.5 Hz/8th, but an added 720 degs of delay [2 Hz offset] runs counter to my 'sensitivities' even if not a big deal down this low, so would try the pioneer's conclusion that up to 500 Hz/2nd order was the best overall compromise.

GM

I was thinking I could get away with 24db and some time tuning so I could push those 1" drivers harder, definitely going between 250-350, but you and the pioneers are probably right, we don't want the emasculated "B***" drive a truck through the hole sound. I will be able to tell when I get those 25 x 1" sticks and hear them. Thank you
Any other thoughts let me know I don't mind being dumb and educated. (-:

Not sure about price, but if affordable "just do it" and comment on results.

The idea is interesting, I would cross them over to a 6" or 8" woofer, biamplified, since it will be simpler, cheaper and better than passive, you decide on crossover frequency, and then simply enjoy.

Not sure about price, but if affordable "just do it" and comment on results.

The idea is interesting, I would cross them over to a 6" or 8" woofer, biamplified, since it will be simpler, cheaper and better than passive, you decide on crossover frequency, and then simply enjoy.

That's exactly what I planned to do as per post 6. Going to use one of those (Hypex)? DSP amps to biamp and do the eq etc. This is where I think I can "fudge" Hoffman's law, sacrificing efficiency. Just wanted input before a few hundred go bye bye .

FWIW, I'd avoid the Tang Band mini-subs for PA use. Seriously.

I had a pair set up in a medium-sized living room, and was past -6dB on an NU6000 to get to decent levels. Those things need a rocket up them to get anywhere useful.

My recommendation would be to grab a couple of half-decent 8-10" drivers and put them in a 6th order bandpass.

There are other problems with small line sources, too...

Chris

here's frequency response at 6 meters of what appears to be the same speaker. (assume this is vertical -?)

PHA-5125

https://www.wireless-experts.com/images/pdf/PHA-5125.pdf

PHA-5125%20frequency%20response%206m%20at%20angles.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.