Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

3" Driver choice
3" Driver choice
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2019, 12:00 AM   #1
bobberner is offline bobberner  United States
diyAudio Member

3" Driver choice
Default 3" Driver choice

And here is another can of worms....

If you had to pick an all around general purpose 3" driver that is a "good value" what would pick? Madisound has drivers ranging from about $10 to $50 which is quite a broad range. I'd be putting these in a Frugel-Horn lite.
Old 21st September 2019, 12:06 AM   #2
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberner View Post
And here is another can of worms....
If you had to pick an all around general purpose 3" driver that is a "good value" what would pick? Madisound has drivers ranging from about $10 to $50 which is quite a broad range. I'd be putting these in a Frugel-Horn lite.
I would call and ask them, that's what they do.
Old 21st September 2019, 01:30 AM   #3
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

3" Driver choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberner View Post
I'd be putting these in a Frugel-Horn lite.
Fostex FF85WK & Mark Audio Alpair 5 come to mind. You could read thru this thread for more options: Frugel-Horn Lite for 3" drivers

jeff
Old 21st September 2019, 04:32 AM   #4
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

3" Driver choice
Even thou they might be pricier, these 2 are what i consider best value. And they are the drivers to put into FH-Lite.

Stock, the Alpair is smoother, EnABLed (the FF85wKeN gets extra work), they are REALLY close.

Put either of these in an FH-Lite and they will stun you with how much bass they can produce.

There are ALOT of drivers at half the price, i have heard the VIFA TG9 (the cheaper TC9 sucks AFAIC), The Fountek FR88ex is OK, i have the Faital Pro enroute (and boxes waiting for them).

The cheaper of the Scan F10s is better as a FR than the more expensive one but still over-priced IMO. All the TBs i have heard are older ones (and it is hard to standardize on them, given how fast models turn-over).

In line with expectation based on the Alpair 5.2, the CHN-70 is likely a good cheaper driver (i have boxes underway, but i have stalled).

Note that like the new A7/11ms is the Alpair 5.2/3 are mono suspension. For the FHL the A6.2m/p are also well worth considering and should offer more punch in the bass, than the A5.

If i had to pick just one it woud be the Alpair 5.2 (being superceded by the A5.3 which has only a different voice coil wire, and wa spromted by demand from Japan). Little real difference between the 2.

[peve]And the real colours are copper & silver (the gold and gray nomenclature come from the 1st generation which did have gold & grey).[/peve]

dave

3" Driver choiceHide this!Advertise here!