Full Range Driver in LCR Dual Center

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like Ariston has two significantly different implementations of this design concept. The model on which all of my assumptions and imagineering are based is I guess the top model, which to quote “Our dual enclosures contain four separate cabinets: two centre channels and one left channel and one right channel, all carefully calibrated to deliver big centre channel sound that seems to come right from the middle of the screen without a separate centre channel box.” If I’m not mistaken, that final part is a major factor in PGM’s calculus.

That, and the description and photos showing a pair of small mid bass drivers at top and bottom of the enclosure and a tweeter mounted on the curved outward facing surface is what drew me to the conclusion that the L & R channels are an interesting twist in MTM configuration, with the dual rows of smaller drivers in curved array comprising the phantom centre. I didn’t see a reference to, or photos of tweeters on both curved sides of each enclosure, which considering these are intended to be mounted directly adjoining the screen itself wouldn’t make sense - the inward tweeters would be completed blocked. But be that as it may, the question for PGM is where in the continuum from simple to as complex as possible does he want this little experiment to fall?

Other FR drivers I’d consider for such a project in a room your size would be Fostex FF105WK or Mark Audio Pluvia7 - I’m currently running a pair of the latter in my 7.1 rig as front height surrounds. The enclosures are a vented variation on I think this design from Dave’s site http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/mMar-Ken6-1v0-map-231009.pdf. I’ve built literally hundreds of enclosures from his catalog, and always have trouble keeping track of them, but this would give you an idea of size and relative simplicity of the enclosure.This drawing demonstrates some variations on aspect ratio (HxWxD) for the vented enclosure the Pluvia7 would like to see. http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/CGR-Plu-Ken7-15-030216.pdf

My room is just under twice the area as yours, and my listening distance is about 10ft. I’d previously used the A7.3 that Dave mentioned for the front row, but upscaled a couple of years ago to the A10.3.

Savants’ website is a little bit clunky, but I did manage to find this:https://sav-documentation.s3.amazon...erpiece LCR Dual Center MK2 Install Guide.pdf

Last edited:
These are the ones I saw from post 38.
Nothing as insane as that hmm.. "Masterpiece" model.

x733PLCRUMB-o.jpeg

chrisb. planet10. I appreciate your input. It seems like Mark Audio is the way to go. For my center channel, I have this idea that I still want the total impedance to be 8 ohm, so 2 x 4ohm wired in series. Mark Audio seems to have two such models: Alpair 5 gen3, and Alpair 6P or M gen2. What are your thoughts on these two? Is one "better" than the other?

If seriously interested give Adam(?) a call or email.*They may still have a few on hand.

* I think Dave might have his contact info.

As for the 7PHD, I think the consensus - whether from those who’ve actually heard it, or just based on the published specs - is that it might be a bit too idiosyncratic for most North American ears.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.