Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ports - plan reading help!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2019, 07:21 PM   #1
Bluemootwo is offline Bluemootwo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Ports - plan reading help!

Help please - Iím about to start building according to this plan. But is it me, or is it impossible to tell if this is a two port design with a central fill, or a single port with fills either side. Any ideas?

CGR-dPlu-Ken11-0v82-plan-300716.pdf - Google Drive

And has anyone built these? The purpose of them is for my sonís composition work, so Iím looking for a monitor-type performance. His room is small and most of his listening is classic bookshelf speaker setup. There is not a lot of space, hence a front port design choice and the shallow depth. Compromises I know but there is not the room for a Frugel Horn...Any hints and tips?
Old 19th September 2019, 07:49 PM   #2
Dave R is offline Dave R  United States
diyAudio Member

The section cut on the front is taken through the middle opening (solid lines around that opening give a clue), which is 81 mm wide. The section (side) view shows the height of that opening to be 15 mm high, and length extends to within 15 mm from the rear wall.

Looks to be made for simple construction in mind, allowing pieces to be stacked to create the port opening. More or less a shelf port.
Old 19th September 2019, 07:52 PM   #3
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Pluvia 11- CGR?

Markaudio Pluvia Eleven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pluvia11-CGR.jpg (39.9 KB, 95 views)
Old 19th September 2019, 09:05 PM   #4
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
Pluvia 11- CGR?

Markaudio Pluvia Eleven
Dave's explanation is correct, and when you model this as a BR, it works out, but not with 2 vents like the boxes in the pic.

jeff
Old 19th September 2019, 10:07 PM   #5
Bluemootwo is offline Bluemootwo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks both. So, to be sure I have this right (measure twice, cut once) I build them with a single central vent. Next question - the fills either side of the vent run to the rear of the cabinet?
Old 19th September 2019, 11:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemootwo View Post
So, to be sure I have this right (measure twice, cut once) I build them with a single central vent. Next question - the fills either side of the vent run to the rear of the cabinet?
That's how it's drawn yes. You can always email Dave@Planet_10 hifi to double check before you start cutting. Do you have the Pluvia 11's already? With a slight mod to those boxes, you could run the new Alpair 11MS, which IMHO is a better sounding driver.

jeff

Last edited by vinylkid58; 19th September 2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 19th September 2019, 11:03 PM   #7
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Like Dave R, I interpreted the plans as indicating a single, central port 81mm wide.

However, the plans linked to by Bluemootwo originate from diyAudio moderator planet10 who also built the enclosures shown in post #3.

Perhaps we can get the other Dave (planet10) to come in on this thread.
Old 19th September 2019, 11:29 PM   #8
Dave R is offline Dave R  United States
diyAudio Member

On second thought, it would be a good idea to get Planet10 in on this.
It seems that the Swiss cheese divider needs to set on something . . . that leads to 2 ports on outside?
Old 19th September 2019, 11:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Look again at the section view. There's a piece to support the brace. It's shown as a dashed line in the main front view.

jeff
Old 19th September 2019, 11:47 PM   #10
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemootwo View Post
Thanks both. So, to be sure I have this right (measure twice, cut once) I build them with a single central vent. Next question - the fills either side of the vent run to the rear of the cabinet?
No...

The vent is composed of a single vent the full width of the box with a ďvent spacerĒ that runs down the middle (and divide it into 2) ó primarily to shrink the vent size but will also brace the port shelf. The vent spacer runs all the way from front to back.

Guess i need to add an additional note to clarify this.

The vent spacer is a scheme i use so that i can tune standard size boxes to different drivers. ie the same box can be used with subtle changes for the Alpair 11ms.

dave

Ports - plan reading help!Hide this!Advertise here!