Ports - plan reading help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help please - I’m about to start building according to this plan. But is it me, or is it impossible to tell if this is a two port design with a central fill, or a single port with fills either side. Any ideas?

CGR-dPlu-Ken11-0v82-plan-300716.pdf - Google Drive

And has anyone built these? The purpose of them is for my son’s composition work, so I’m looking for a monitor-type performance. His room is small and most of his listening is classic bookshelf speaker setup. There is not a lot of space, hence a front port design choice and the shallow depth. Compromises I know but there is not the room for a Frugel Horn...Any hints and tips?

The section cut on the front is taken through the middle opening (solid lines around that opening give a clue), which is 81 mm wide. The section (side) view shows the height of that opening to be 15 mm high, and length extends to within 15 mm from the rear wall.

Looks to be made for simple construction in mind, allowing pieces to be stacked to create the port opening. More or less a shelf port.

Attachments

• Pluvia11-CGR.jpg
    Pluvia11-CGR.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 141
So, to be sure I have this right (measure twice, cut once) I build them with a single central vent. Next question - the fills either side of the vent run to the rear of the cabinet?

That's how it's drawn yes. You can always email Dave@Planet_10 hifi to double check before you start cutting. Do you have the Pluvia 11's already? With a slight mod to those boxes, you could run the new Alpair 11MS, which IMHO is a better sounding driver.

jeff

Last edited:
Like Dave R, I interpreted the plans as indicating a single, central port 81mm wide.

However, the plans linked to by Bluemootwo originate from diyAudio moderator planet10 who also built the enclosures shown in post #3.

Perhaps we can get the other Dave (planet10) to come in on this thread.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks both. So, to be sure I have this right (measure twice, cut once) I build them with a single central vent. Next question - the fills either side of the vent run to the rear of the cabinet?

No...

The vent is composed of a single vent the full width of the box with a “vent spacer” that runs down the middle (and divide it into 2) — primarily to shrink the vent size but will also brace the port shelf. The vent spacer runs all the way from front to back.

Guess i need to add an additional note to clarify this.

The vent spacer is a scheme i use so that i can tune standard size boxes to different drivers. ie the same box can be used with subtle changes for the Alpair 11ms.

dave

Dave - I've added some words and shadings and I'd be grateful for your nod that I've got these right for the P11 design.

Also, my cabinet-maker father has some very high quality sycamore. Beautiful to look at, very dense grained, stable, no shakes or knots. He has the skills. So could we use that instead of ply?

Plan - plan view - Google Drawings

Side - side - Google Drawings

Front - front - Google Drawings

Thanks again,

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.