3D printed 3" Egg Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Made these 3" eggs some time ago
3D Printed 3i Egg Speakers.jpg

Thingiverse (Download and make your own, and info on volume etc)
3" Egg Speaker by dr_frost_dk - Thingiverse

Video of one of the first prototypes (crappy phone video with "noise" canceling)
YouTube

5" size is also on Make: Magazine (old version)
3D Printed Egg Speakers | Make:

Last edited:
Very similar to my old Acoustic Lab Zeta

-With the same driver and they sound not correct I believe, but VERY pleasant. I put the same drivers in the doors of my last car. That was fine, but they weren`t aimed at my ears so some highs were missing. In my next car I will make boxes for them, that fits on each side of the stearing wheel on the dasboard. The Zetas are sealed. Yours are ported right? What portsize and volume?
Cheers!

Attachments

• Acoustic Lab Zeta.jpg
    Acoustic Lab Zeta.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 435
yes just checked, need a new link, they are hard to come by

if you want to 3D print the eggs i REALLY recommend 4" or 5", 3" sound very good but low watts and limited depth limits their enjoyment alone, 4" is 200W, 5" is 250W and they are still after 10 years of using them the best units i have used in over 1000' tested in the last 25 years

They where really surprised at Make: Magazine at the audio quality, this was the 5" over 1 year ago, and have made small tweaks to make them even better.

3" are nice with a subwoofer, and working on transmission line subs (4-6") to go with them

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nice eggs. I have been doing a lot of mental gymnastics about how a 3D printer can be used beyond just printing a ‘regular” cabinet in an unusual shape.

if you want to 3D print the eggs i REALLY recommend 4" or 5", 3" sound very good but low watts and limited depth limits their enjoyment alone, 4" is 200W, 5" is 250W

While 3” will never be a bass monster, its other assets are very dependent on the driver…

And power handling in a hifi speaker is largely irrelevant.

dave

Reminds me of the Focal Egg kit that was sold by Madisound back in the late 80s. IIRC, the enclosure was fiberglass, vented, 2.5 way (7N402DBE DVC woofer + T121 inverted dome tweeter?). Sadly, I no longer have the literature on it. I cleaned out my old audio catalogs some time back and that must have gone to recycling.

Reminds me of the Focal Egg kit that was sold by Madisound back in the late 80s. IIRC, the enclosure was fiberglass, vented, 2.5 way (7N402DBE DVC woofer + T121 inverted dome tweeter?). Sadly, I no longer have the literature on it. I cleaned out my old audio catalogs some time back and that must have gone to recycling.

Yes, that was exactly the kit I've meant in #12! Thanks for reminding!
Best regards!

Love the feet but why 4 of them? Possibly one at the back shaped like a stubby tail? LOL, is this a troll thing? (folklore, not internet thuggery).

Well i have 2 kinds of feet so far (not shared yet) and a clean model without feet so you can put you own feet on them or make them wall mounted.
Right now im finishing a prototype of the wall mount versions with 72 ws2812b Diodes inside, will have a video up soon'ish, these will be on patreon only to start with cause this is not just design, MANY hours have gone into my bluetooth RGB system, also TDA7293 AMP will be there along other products, yes products as im building a platform with a lot of different things, next weeks ill be working on my lasertag rifles based on the lego chima sword, but with laser system, HUD, even more powerful sound and recoil
LEGO Chima inspired "GUN" sword (3D Printed)

Also VERY big DIY 3D Printers based on my own printers that print these eggs, new printer is CoreXY as much bigger then my 2 printers will be hard on motor driving bed back and forth
(Old Picture a few changes have been made since)
IMG_20180715_024321_2.jpg
IMG_20180715_024251_2.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.