Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

3D printed 3" Egg Speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2019, 08:51 PM   #11
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Nice eggs. I have been doing a lot of mental gymnastics about how a 3D printer can be used beyond just printing a ‘regular” cabinet in an unusual shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frost dk View Post
if you want to 3D print the eggs i REALLY recommend 4" or 5", 3" sound very good but low watts and limited depth limits their enjoyment alone, 4" is 200W, 5" is 250W
While 3” will never be a bass monster, its other assets are very dependent on the driver…

And power handling in a hifi speaker is largely irrelevant.

dave
Old 19th September 2019, 12:37 PM   #12
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Very nice! Resembles a speaker that a - now extinct - German electronics DIY magazine has published in the 1980ies.
Best regards!
Old 19th September 2019, 12:56 PM   #13
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Love the feet but why 4 of them? Possibly one at the back shaped like a stubby tail? LOL, is this a troll thing? (folklore, not internet thuggery).
Old 20th September 2019, 12:18 AM   #14
CraigSu is online now CraigSu  United States
diyAudio Member

Reminds me of the Focal Egg kit that was sold by Madisound back in the late 80s. IIRC, the enclosure was fiberglass, vented, 2.5 way (7N402DBE DVC woofer + T121 inverted dome tweeter?). Sadly, I no longer have the literature on it. I cleaned out my old audio catalogs some time back and that must have gone to recycling.
Old 20th September 2019, 12:25 AM   #15
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There was also a Canadian manufacturer, Waveform, building a 2-way egg that nestled into the top of a truncated pyramid hosing the woofer. Try-amped IIRC.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 20th September 2019, 09:42 AM   #16
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSu View Post
Reminds me of the Focal Egg kit that was sold by Madisound back in the late 80s. IIRC, the enclosure was fiberglass, vented, 2.5 way (7N402DBE DVC woofer + T121 inverted dome tweeter?). Sadly, I no longer have the literature on it. I cleaned out my old audio catalogs some time back and that must have gone to recycling.

Yes, that was exactly the kit I've meant in #12! Thanks for reminding!
Best regards!
Old 27th September 2019, 01:57 AM   #17
dr frost dk is offline dr frost dk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerms View Post
Love the feet but why 4 of them? Possibly one at the back shaped like a stubby tail? LOL, is this a troll thing? (folklore, not internet thuggery).
Well i have 2 kinds of feet so far (not shared yet) and a clean model without feet so you can put you own feet on them or make them wall mounted.
Right now im finishing a prototype of the wall mount versions with 72 ws2812b Diodes inside, will have a video up soon'ish, these will be on patreon only to start with cause this is not just design, MANY hours have gone into my bluetooth RGB system, also TDA7293 AMP will be there along other products, yes products as im building a platform with a lot of different things, next weeks ill be working on my lasertag rifles based on the lego chima sword, but with laser system, HUD, even more powerful sound and recoil
LEGO Chima inspired "GUN" sword (3D Printed)

Also VERY big DIY 3D Printers based on my own printers that print these eggs, new printer is CoreXY as much bigger then my 2 printers will be hard on motor driving bed back and forth
(Old Picture a few changes have been made since)
IMG_20180715_024321_2.jpg
IMG_20180715_024251_2.jpg
Old 30th September 2019, 07:47 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Audio is not the best, but RGB versions of the Egg speakers (4") are getting there, only 2 patters in this video (split in the middle of video)
3D printed Egg Speakers RGB version
Old 12th October 2019, 02:58 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

going to be 3 videos up soon (3 songs) to show the light system, have 18 patterns so far, still some tweaks to do, another demo video so far
RGB egg speakers test
Old 14th October 2019, 08:34 PM   #20
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

I read on the Maker site that you use Tinkercad to design them and would very
much appreciate any tips on how to do shapes like these.
I'm interested in 3D printing mid and tweeter enclosures like those that sit on
top of the KEF 105 and BYW 801 for example.

3D printed 3" Egg SpeakerHide this!Advertise here!