Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Horn waveguide atop a 4" FR driver?
Horn waveguide atop a 4" FR driver?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2019, 02:44 AM   #1
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Horn waveguide atop a 4" FR driver?

What would happen if one took one of these Dayton 10" circular waveguides, cut it at the small end to fit an appx 4" opening and used it with a 4" full range driver?

Would I then lose baffle edge diffraction issues?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Circular horn.jpg (24.5 KB, 240 views)
Old 18th September 2019, 06:42 AM   #2
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Diffraction occurs where a wave encounters a sharp (compared to the wavelength) bend.

//
Old 18th September 2019, 07:10 AM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Right, so a horn must have a rollover with a radius acoustically large enough to keep it from diffracting [note the large dark horn]: https://www.cessaro.de/fileadmin/sit...ucts/alpha.jpg

GM
Old 18th September 2019, 07:56 AM   #4
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I'm using a rectangular horn with a 2.5" driver, open back.

I like the result.
Old 18th September 2019, 03:36 PM   #5
LeifB60 is offline LeifB60  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I like yours answers. Please don't stop.
It is hard to find best driver..
Old 19th September 2019, 01:41 AM   #6
Sub Sonic is offline Sub Sonic  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Right, so a horn must have a rollover with a radius acoustically large enough to keep it from diffracting [note the large dark horn]: https://www.cessaro.de/fileadmin/sit...ucts/alpha.jpg

GM
What audible effects does diffraction have on the sound? Just curious as currently I have a SEOS 15/DE250 sitting atop the woofer cabinet by itself. XO is around 1kHz.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 19th September 2019, 06:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Perceval - what's the dimensions of your rectangular horn? The horn in the link GM posted is huge, 100cm. In the Cessaro home page link, they show a "Qianlong" system that has a horn like coupler on both speakers, but the larger speaker's arrangement is closest to what I was imagining hacking the Dayton product.

So, what's going on when someone puts a circular waveguide over the top of a speaker, as they've clearly done in this Cessaro Qianlong system?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qianlong-1.jpg (87.6 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by jjasniew; 19th September 2019 at 06:06 AM.
Old 19th September 2019, 06:59 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Sonic View Post
What audible effects does diffraction have on the sound?
Varies, kind of like a [added] sibilance that lots of folks like as it adds 'clarity'/'detail' and/or adds a layer of fine noise that lots of folks like for its 'richness' kind of like vinyl does [at least old vinyl, no experience with digital].

Experiment with some open cell foam wrapped around the mouth, extending a bit in front and wad up some cheap cotton towels to place around it to isolate it from the cab to get the worst of it.

Experiment with fish tank filters in the throat and adjust the HF if need be.

GM
Old 19th September 2019, 07:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasniew View Post
So, what's going on when someone puts a circular waveguide over the top of a speaker
Load it with a point source driver like in your 1st post or a horn literally above a woofer box?

GM
Old 20th September 2019, 06:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

GM, I was thinking of using a 4" point-source driver. Currently mounted on an 8" circular baffle, centered. I've read that this is worst case for diffraction and was wondering if this waveguide by Dayton could pull the sound away from interacting with the circular baffle board. Given the waveguide is circular also and of reasonable size. I'm also considering introducing a new baffle board shape, that I can just sandwich atop the existing circular one. I have no idea what shape I should make it - another + for Dayton's product. Given that its effect would be beneficial, which is my true question.

About 30 years ago, I was led to a church that was throwing out some speakers. All the drivers were long gone, but one thing I picked up was a multicell horn like on top of the speaker in your avatar picture. Whoever took the driver unbolted it at the horn throat, where each horn cell starts in a radial pattern. I vaguely recall building a plate to put a regular speaker at that point, slot loaded to match the throat geometry. It made sound, I used it for something like part of a PA system, then all memory of it is lost. Thanks,

Last edited by jjasniew; 20th September 2019 at 06:37 AM.

Horn waveguide atop a 4" FR driver?Hide this!Advertise here!