Full range driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A bigger driver can play deeper.
A smaller driver is faster.
Is that true?

It all depends on the driver. Execution, and intention of execution of the driver make big differences. I have 4” drivers that go lower than the same brands 6.5” (was just talking to someone about a cabinet where we subbed the former into a box for the latter. And some large drivers do not go low irrespective of the box.

You can certainly generalize that a larger driver typically has the potential to play lower, louder, and move more air, but it is far from universal. A smaller driver typically does better in the mids and top, has better dispersion and will not be as efficient tor play as loud (but more people than you might think never listen that loud).

But cone shape, how well the FR transitions and works thru its chaotic range (Mark calls them microresonces), how much xMax and more play roles in the performance of a FR.

dave

I'm almost 60 years old. My hearing has gotten worse. I like the 80's 90's music. I want good resolution and detailed sound. I have great demands on the sound. I have good electronics and like good recordings with good dynamics.
I don't play very loud.

What driver do I need then?

I have several different amplifiers. Class D, Class A, Class AB and Tube Amplifiers. I choose the one that sounds best for the speaker. I have a dac with tubes. Right now I use the Class D final step and the first step without pipes. It gives the best dynamic I think. I use a CD player.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have several different amplifiers. Class D, Class A, Class AB and Tube Amplifiers. I choose the one that sounds best for the speaker.

What i am looking for is the amplifier output impedance. Most multiways look for low output impedance amps — the Class D & Class AB likely — but there are some like the Fostex FExx6 drivers that want a high output impedance amp — like a typical Single Ended tube amp.

Given your collection i would recommend the Alpair 10.3/p, 11ms for their extra bass over the small improvement in DDR (detail reproduction) and better dispersion and top of the smaller A7.3/ms.

Do note that the smaller drivers supported by bass drivers crossed 150-400 Hz can really kick butt and you certainly have enuff amplifiers for that.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Some swear by them. Others swear at themselves for buying them.

You could probaly find such a person for almost any speaker,

The Cubes get got reviews (we did a box for 8” Magus, it did somethings better than his A11ms (in Brodgar), and other speakers he has. He got his before they ~tripled in price as distribution was added to the mix.

A warning to keep buying Sonido direct so they do not suffer the same.

dave

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lowther. no one likes them?

It's designed strictly for compound [front/back] horn loading, so extremely limited linear excursion and has a strong rising response to offset front horn compression loading.

This limits it to a near-field monitor with CD horn EQ or for some folks, just use extreme toe in or out depending on the room, etc..

I auditioned Bob Brine's DX3, 4? MLTLs w/EQ and once close enough gave the kind of performance normally reserved for small seating area electrostat apps, so worth the $$$ IMNSHO IF used well within its built-in limitations.

In short, not really a contender for a typical 'FR' speaker app.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.