Full range driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
“Iconic” covers a lotta ground, but for shitzen giggles, I wouldn’t mind a spin in either a Porsche 929, or the original (2008) Tesla roadster. BTW, the latter currently holds the distinction of being the first production car model to be launched into space.
Who else would be crazy enough to do that again?

Jeff Bezos says, hold my beer Elon, I think I’ve got a spare ‘96 Accord here somewhere.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi,

I would easily exchange the burden of having to watch several tv series against the pleasure of driving a Lancia Stratos. XRK, do you have this iconic car? Last time I drove it is more than 35 years ago...

All the best

Mattes

You are very lucky man, Mattes to have driven a Stratos in the flesh.

No, I don’t have one (only about 500+ were made per homologation requirements.)

I have only driven it on a simulator - while not the best car relative to everything else, it has an iconic design as flying wedge and was the first car made to be a race car first then was sold as a road car. It had a certain visceral impact that is unmistakable.

I think E. Comas put it very succinctly why it’s his favorite car (having been a F1, GT, and rally driver):

YouTube

Just listen to that exhaust note and see how it expertly eats up winding roads.

917k on extra boost with 1500hp destroyed everything else the year it debuted behind the hands of Mark Donahue. A scary machine. Solid axle (no diff) crazy stuff.

Today, one can get a $35k Honda Civic R that rips through the ‘Ring in 7:43 - unheard of even 5 years ago.

Any of the top hybrid halo cars I would consider superb examples of engineering that are great cars. P1, La Ferrari, 918, etc. but the visceral sound of a naturally aspirated V12 or V10 is still tops for me.

Best performance car ever, race or road is the F2004 IMO.

Last edited:
Hi XRK,

yes, I still remember that singular experience. It was in Rome, I was a young guy, and the car (street version) was used for sale at a dealer. I made a test ride, but of course could never have afforded it, not then, not now...

Strange enough, my Volvo C 70 now has even more power than the Stratos street version had, but the Lancia sensation with a Ferrari 6-cylinder engine was something else.
Apart from the fact that the Stratos is even more unattainable today, I calm myself with thinking that it´s better to keep memories as such, instead of chasing dreams of yore, which might get boring once realized by old men...

All the best

Mattes

LeifB60,

Again, I shall iterate that there is no universal best. :)

People can have there favorites, but that changes from time to time also. ;)

I have no experience with these, but a few recent posts on the forum indicate that Sonido of Hungary has some good offerings.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/65061-range-speaker-photo-gallery-424.html#post5901133

Maybe you can get more listening impressions from those members too.

But again, your other equipment and your room will contribute, and most importantly your taste/preferences. :)

Somehow, I have a feeling that it was not the answer the OP had expected.

I was in the outdoors retail, and there was this one customer that had set ideas that we couldn't budge.

For example, he believed firmly that a red jacket was warmer than a blue jacket.

Tried for 20 min to explain it was the same jacket, same material, etc...
Nope, the faces he was making when I was trying to explain that both were equally warm.

In the end, I gave up, told him he was smarter than me, and yes, the red jacket is warmer than a blue one.

He bought the red one and has been completely happy with it for as long as I know.

Sometimes, you just got to agree and if no one gets hurt, than its no biggie.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.