Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Full range driver
Full range driver
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2019, 10:20 PM   #11
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

The best I have heard until now are Lowther DX2 Hedlund horns with a low power triode SE amplifier. In my room, the near field shoutiness translates into almost flat response at the listening spot. Perfect for non complicated acoustic music. But I must admit they greatly benefit from the help of a subwoofer in the low end.

So in my opinion, full range is quite possible from 100 Hz up with high quality. I also liked a combination of a modified Fostex 208 (not sure which exact type it was) with a 15" helper woofer. Also a Sonido SFR200A backloaded horn or transmission line box was unbelievable on percussions. All of these were true for relatively smaller and well damped and partially treated rooms.

Therefore I may conclude I really like 8" fullrangers. Currently experimenting with a Fane 12-250TC in a large sealed box. So fat promisimg, but they need serious burn in as they are brand new.
Old 16th September 2019, 10:22 PM   #12
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbb View Post
And: The most do not understand to modify, coat, damp, install drivers.

But this are the conditions for clean performance! Do NEVER use a crossover;-)

As an example: At moment I do use the 17W75 for fullrange. A dream;-)
+1

That said, while not full range, its published specs/response appears to make an excellent ~250-2500 Hz telephone BW driver, which of course is the most important to get right, so agree ideally no XOs dividing it up even though it's been the standard to divide it in our ~flat hearing BW between ~500-1.2 kHz since at least the early 1930s TTBOMK and probably earlier.

The lower XO point is outside our acute hearing BW enough to add a [sub] woofer, but it gets tricky up high since we need out to at least an 8 kHz XO and preferably > ~11.3 kHz for a super tweeter.

Nominally flat for up to [5.5] octaves is tough enough for a horn or point source driver and have to trade a fair amount of efficiency for BW to get it, but having good off axis response also is a real engineering headache, having to rely on some form of co-ax, so for now we'll have to agree to disagree about NEVER using XOs to create a full range speaker system.

To date, W.E.'s original 8" [3] way single diaphragm 755 [two mechanical XOs] is the best I've auditioned, aware of and sell for rare antique prices when one in good condition comes along, but haven't had the pleasure of any of the customs available around the world, so maybe there's as good or better.

All that said, with today's cheap, 'clean' DSP one can mod a so-so response to billiard table flat if desired, though again, always trading efficiency for flat BW, so for those of us with modest budgets, we only need one with decent construction/specs that's once flattened still has enough power handling to suit the needs of the app.

GM
Old 17th September 2019, 02:00 AM   #13
markdonnaharris is offline markdonnaharris  United States
diyAudio Member

You must listen to a number of drivers to find the one and configuration that is best for you. For me I like very much the Voxativ line of drivers. At present I use the Voxativ AC-2.6 and the older AER DX-4 as a backup. I find the Voxativ better in front loaded applications and the AER in rear loading to help the lower frequencies.

Enjoy the discovery!
Old 17th September 2019, 03:22 AM   #14
CFT is offline CFT  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
To date, W.E.'s original 8" [3] way single diaphragm 755 [two mechanical XOs] is the best I've auditioned.
Same here...why is it so hard to make it right like the 755...
Old 17th September 2019, 06:09 AM   #15
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Guess there's not enough market for it; ~20 yrs ago Nick McKinney [Lambda/AE] found the original dies, but the owner wouldn't do it for <10 k pieces [don't recall him telling us the quote price] and seems like awhile back I saw a W.E. ad for 300B tubes that also showed a new diaphragm for sale, but it won't be cheap and much worse, it won't be an original hemp material, I assume like the 'E', which is great sounding only if you've never heard an original.

GM
Old 17th September 2019, 07:52 AM   #16
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
1) There is no best
2) see #1 above
+1001

If the question had been "What's the best driver for me, my room, my taste and my situation?" Then there would be some meaningful answers.

Right now, it's interesting to read, but in no way answers anything the OP had hoped.

OP, can you name one kind of music that is the best, that everyone likes and everyone agrees on?
One movie? One TV show? One car? One colour?

See?
Old 17th September 2019, 03:00 PM   #17
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Full range driver
Citizen Kane, Star Trek, Lancia Stratos HF, Green.

But if I had to pick one driver to live with for the rest of my life. Now just one and has to cover bass to highs (50Hz to 16kHz) well and have some ability to have impact, I would pick W5-2143.

If I could use a woofer for a FAST, it is the 10F/8424 tied with SB65WBAC25-4.

Last edited by xrk971; 17th September 2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 17th September 2019, 03:15 PM   #18
cumbb is offline cumbb
diyAudio Member

No fullrange without a superbe amp;-!
Old 17th September 2019, 05:57 PM   #19
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Full range driver
Of course, music is always better with a SE Class A amp, but I have had good luck with Class AB and even Class D for nice sounding fullrange action.
Old 17th September 2019, 07:30 PM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Well, there is that delicate closely embraced tango between electronics and transducer for which I don’t think there’s an absolute formula.
Certitude can be a dangerous thing.

Full range driverHide this!Advertise here!