Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Full range driver
Full range driver
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2019, 08:51 PM   #101
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

How about we say a single number is “insufficient data to reach a meaningful conclusion”
Old 1st October 2019, 09:41 PM   #102
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
etc: in particular, what amplifier?

dave
LOL! Beat me to it! Posting in the midst of an amp discussion I totally forgot to include it till later, though in my defense it's normally only a concern on this forum.

GM
Old 1st October 2019, 11:05 PM   #103
iheaka71 is offline iheaka71  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes. An SE amp. It could be triode, ultralinear or pentode (or switchable).

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...84/k/KT150.pdf

Suggests a single tube can do 20w (at a specific set of settings), likely in pentode. You’ll get about half that in triode. Ultralinear in-between.

dave
OK,.... the owner of Sonido speakers responded. He said the speakers are 24W RMS.
Old 1st October 2019, 11:07 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just saw an English made KT150 SE. 18w in triode, 28w in UL.

Click the image to open in full size.

Stereo 30 SE Single Ended Integrated Amplifier - Stereo 30SE - Integrated Amplifiers

dave
his cost a little over 2,300 pounds. A bit expensive for me.
Old 1st October 2019, 11:17 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
No need to apologize, we've all been one.

In general, yes, i.e. max box size/shape, main usage [computer, bedroom, HT, whatever], basic details of the room, where the speakers/main listening position is desired, etc.; IOW all the info required that allows us to best overall meet the needs/desires of your app since the room dominates its performance once you're more than [>] ~ 1m/4ft away and even then, if on a desk anywhere near a wall it will still dominate much of the most critical bandwidth [BW] of all, the 250-2500 Hz telephone BW.

GM
Ahh, OK. So the box size will be 33" tall, 18" in length from front to back and 16" wide. It will be a front baffle enclosure. I'm not sure if I am going to use a single or dual port. I will test both options before I make the final product. As for room size, Im looking at a mid sized living room. And the speakers will be away from the wall..
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:49 PM   #106
Mattes is online now Mattes  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheaka71 View Post
OK,.... the owner of Sonido speakers responded. He said the speakers are 24W RMS.
Hi Iheaka,

oh, 24 watts, that´s good, 23 would have been a lot worse...
Jokes aside, it´s a pretty meaningless number. You can play an 8-inch fullrange driver to nice middle room levels, until it will start to sound stressed. It will need only a few watts to do that, if you have those in good quality and a generous headroom, the driver will withstand it.
If you need your music louder, you must do something. Mechanical resonators (BR) and amplifiers (horns) will help, a bass helper driver will help as well, and then with a crossover you´re reducing the load on the FR driver.
If you need a number, you might roughly calculate voicecoil wire area in cm² and multiply by 5 to get the watts. But again, it doesn´t mean much...

Best regards

Mattes

Full range driverHide this!Advertise here!