How to calculate speaker box size when there was no speaker in the box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can fil the box with water and then measure how much for high accuracy, but you can get close enuff with a tape measure on the inside.

Once you know the box volume, you can take a speaker modeler and plug in potential candidates and see how they do in that volume (or less volume, it is easy to fill up extra space.

Pictures?

dave

Here's a picture Dave.

As Dave says, simply measure the internal dimensions with a tape measure and calculate the volume. In my diy world, plus or minus 5% in volume is close enough, but don't tell the purists!

I think Dave was joking re the water. It would run out the driver apertures and saturate the woodwork (and the floor)! :D

Attachments

• Orion HS10.jpg
    Orion HS10.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 129
Ah! Twin cone drivers!

Shouldn't be too hard to shoe in a reasonable substitute.

If you need more help, then tell us the internal volume of the box, whether it is a sealed box (no reflex port) and the diameter of the speaker aperture in the box.

I'm sure someone will be able to suggest a suitable candidate.

Oh! And the maximum that you wish to spend would be very helpful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.