started gluing my Frugel-Horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy,

I've made a few flat packs of the FH3 and FHXL for others and at this point I have enough left over pieces and material for a set of horns for myself. If anyone is interested in purchasing a kit lease send me a PM with your contact info. I'll continue to post photos of these as I make progress with completing them. Please excuse the clutter in my shop, I've been very busy lately!

Attachments

• fh3 glue up 1.jpg
    fh3 glue up 1.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 561
  • fh3 glue up 2.jpg
    fh3 glue up 2.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 555
Frugal Horn Info

Do you have any post about these and what type of drivers they use? I’d like to build speakers and always looking for different then normal type of speaker cabs

Hi Carlthess40,

Here is the website for all of the information on the Frugal Horns. I am producing kits for all three sizes and they include everything you need to build the speaker except for the drivers, glue, and finish.

The Frugal-Horns Site -- High Performance, Low Cost DIY Horn Designs

Bob, to repeat an earlier post of mine - and I'm sure I'm speaking for Dave as well - thanks for doing this. I happen to think the FH is a particularly great bang for the buck series of designs, and in retrospect I relish every drop of sweat that went into the first 100 or so pairs. (actually, I lost count)

I'm glad I am able to...

Hey Chris,

I'm happy that this project has such an affordable licensing program. It's taken a lot of legwork getting a place to work and learning how to use a CNC router. I'm very lucky that I found someplace affordable to work. I have the XL worked out and the FH3, so I should be able to start production shortly. After working thru these two, the FH Lite should be easy. I do have some questions about how these speakers actually work, but i need to formulate cogent sentences for someone to answer.

Bob, to repeat an earlier post of mine - and I'm sure I'm speaking for Dave as well - thanks for doing this. I happen to think the FH is a particularly great bang for the buck series of designs, and in retrospect I relish every drop of sweat that went into the first 100 or so pairs. (actually, I lost count)

more progress

got the cabinets glued up and started with the felt and Accoustistuff. I am uncertain how much to stuff in the back part of the V. I have 30 grams in there now since the plans call for 20-40 grams. I'm not sure if i am reading the plans correctly. it seems like the stuffing can go above the divider, as that region is in green IIRC, and the area in the V is orange (on the plans). I plan on screwing the side on rather than gluing it for the time being. This will allow me to easily adjust the stuffing as time goes on.

Any advice at this point?

Attachments

• fh3 cutaway.jpg
    fh3 cutaway.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 352
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You want 30g in the point. And it is clear you need to spend more time teasing it. You should have no trouble filling all the way to the top.

Fluff well.Here 40g in the baggy and after it is fluffed. Took along time to fluff it.

40g-acousta-stuff.jpg

Then take your 30g roll it into a nice even “sausage” the right length, then stuff it evenly into the pointed bit. Since it is a point the density will increase as one approaches the point. Fluff up the installed fluff to fill the space.

20-40 g is used in the front and how much in the end depends on driver, room, room placement and taste. Less fluff —> more bass, but with more ripple, more damping —> less bass, less ripple. The horn, w A7.3, has lots of gain so some bass usually has to be thrown away.

dave

OK,

So i take 30g of the fluff and stuff it tightly into the point. Then I take that
30g "sausage" and tease it so that it fills up the space between the back and the divider. is that correct? The 20 to 40g mentioned is for between the baffle and the divider, is that correct? We only get one shot at stuffing behind the divider, and 30g is the amount called for to do this correctly.

Or 30g sausage in the point and then fill the cavity with well teased extra fluff?

You want 30g in the point. And it is clear you need to spend more time teasing it. You should have no trouble filling all the way to the top.

Fluff well.Here 40g in the baggy and after it is fluffed. Took along time to fluff it.

40g-acousta-stuff.jpg

Then take your 30g roll it into a nice even “sausage” the right length, then stuff it evenly into the pointed bit. Since it is a point the density will increase as one approaches the point. Fluff up the installed fluff to fill the space.

20-40 g is used in the front and how much in the end depends on driver, room, room placement and taste. Less fluff —> more bass, but with more ripple, more damping —> less bass, less ripple. The horn, w A7.3, has lots of gain so some bass usually has to be thrown away.

dave

Last edited:
Thanks Zman,

I saw another build that was similar, but there was a bolt involved. This set is using left over and extra pieces from my practice sessions on the CNC. They will be my "mules" as Dave likes to say. I may play around with the design a bit to make them more user friendly for those who like to tinker. Obviously, I wouldn't do anything without checking with Dave or Scott to make sure that anything I do won't effect the sound quality in a negative or irreversible way.

Bob,

Not sure you can implement this "mod" any more on your semi-finished cabinets, but it's possible to do a removable top - please refer to last pic of the following post (FH3 built by diyAudio member yai):

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/199849-frugel-horn-mk3-picture-gallery.html#post2770161

A removable top can help with adjusting the stuffing more easily, but again might not be necessary for many builders.

finally...

Just got the FH3s into the living room and unfortunately SWMBO says they are too large. And she also isn't crazy about the amplifiers being on the console either. Hopefully the FHlites I have in the works will be more to her liking.

Attachments

• 70366469_10217259310532357_9214695369693200384_n.jpg
    70366469_10217259310532357_9214695369693200384_n.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2485.jpg
    IMG_2485.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 126
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.