Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

34c9 a MDD full range speakers.
34c9 a MDD full range speakers.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2019, 11:14 AM   #11
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

so it's essentially the same concept as a shotgun microphone filter tube assembly used in reverse,no?
Old 26th August 2019, 05:43 PM   #12
claudiogan is offline claudiogan  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelanj View Post
I have first two questions - just to be sure how it is made (to clear my understanding of your description).

1. the square holder for the pipes has no bottom, the speaker is screwed directly on to the sidewalls. And the holes around the frame are sealed by a sealant - what would you recommend to use? I think silicone or hot melt glue should work.

2. the polyurethane ring at the base is a fit on the magnet, so when the whole thing swings, it slides on the magnet, to create a kind of seal. Is that correct? Do you have any suggestion where to get this foam from?

I put the pipes into an online alu dealer calculator (I can get only with 1.5 mm thickness) - and the cost will be slightly less than a pair of drivers, so that is not too bad, since there will be only a little wood and woodworking.

Thanks!
Attached are some photos that I also published on the site to better clarify the assembly. From the enlargements the defects of the manual workmanship can be seen well. The inaccuracies in the workmanship do not create problems if there is the air tightness between the loudspeaker and the guides.
  • the support is a wooden pipe with the internal sides slightly flared (2mm) to prevent the foam of the cone from coming into contact with the corner at the center of the inner side.
  • the speaker is screwed directly onto the sides, the four holes are visible.
  • I used a built-in steel sink sealer that always remains soft, it can be reused in case of disassembly by reshaping it. Trade names: butyl sealant, Sikalastomer, Elastuk, is similar to plasticine used by children. Silicone and hot glue must be replaced if disassembled. Attention, the hot glue is very tough and can break the gasket of the loudspeaker in case of disassembly.
  • The polyurethane ring has the aesthetic function of covering the crack, I have repeatedly started listening to music forgetting it and I have not detected any difference. It can be replaced with fabric, rubber or cardboard, the important thing is that it does not interfere with the oscillations of the guides.
  • Passing from 1 to 1.5 mm the internal section goes from 18x18 to 17x17, I don't think it produces detectable variations to listening. There is the advantage that you have more material to round the upper edge of the guide which can be sharp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34c9 26 foam.jpg (204.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 34c9 27 viti.jpg (232.3 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 34c9 29 guide.jpg (420.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 34c9 31 guide.jpg (226.2 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg 34c9 36 sigillante.jpg (245.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 34c9 33 impronte.jpg (201.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 34c9 34 impronte.jpg (184.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by claudiogan; 26th August 2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 26th August 2019, 06:56 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas3000 View Post
very original project!
btw, you are mounting 3fe25 from the bottom - for this mounting you should try Lavoce drivers, they are suitable for this AND italian (!!!)
I have two problems with the test:
1- Time, I already have a series of outstanding tests to do with the 3fe25 (I have about ten available and it's also Italian).
2 - Costs, I have no plans to buy more material at the moment.

For those who have time and material I suggest trying to do this two ways. Just a cardboard and a tweeter turned upwards to verify the potential of acoustic diffraction. A normally directive driver becomes omnidirectional on the horizontal plane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34c9 fg 10.jpg (64.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 26th August 2019, 07:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
so it's essentially the same concept as a shotgun microphone filter tube assembly used in reverse,no?
No filter. It is easier for me to list differences than analogies. The microphone is a strongly directive device that works using negative interference between sound waves for different angles from the one desired. The 34c9 project has an omnidirectional emission using the phenomenon of acoustic diffraction (Huygens principle).
Old 26th August 2019, 07:12 PM   #15
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Great, now all is clear. I ordered a pair of 3FE22 on 50 % discount, the 25 were not in local stock. Also the square tubes are on the way. I have some leftover 18 mm pine planks that I will use for the holder and base instead of plywood. The sealant is called Butyrub here. I hope to have it put together in a few weeks.
Old 29th August 2019, 09:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The pipes and drivers are home. Tomorrow I will hopefully cut some wood, so that I can start putting it together. I nicknamed this project Kaťuša (Katyusha), since it reminds me the famous rocket launcher
Old 30th August 2019, 08:50 AM   #17
nas3000 is offline nas3000  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Great, now all is clear. I ordered a pair of 3FE22 on 50 % discount,

sorry to hijack a thread: does that place have a e-shop?
Old 30th August 2019, 11:54 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I bought them here: Faital Pro 3FE22 3"" reproduktor, 8Ohm | iMusicData

The actual discount is 35 %, was almost 50 two weeks ago.
Old 30th August 2019, 12:40 PM   #19
nas3000 is offline nas3000  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I bought them here: Faital Pro 3FE22 3"" reproduktor, 8Ohm | iMusicData

The actual discount is 35 %, was almost 50 two weeks ago.

Congrats. Even with 35% discount this is the best price I have ever seen. Sadly they send only to your country and Slovakia
Old 31st August 2019, 03:58 AM   #20
L.rivera92172 is offline L.rivera92172  United States
diyAudio Member

Can you get more into this 2 way with the tweeter and cardboard it's hard to tell how it's made from the pics can you please post pics of it so I can get a idea how it's done thanks in advance

34c9 a MDD full range speakers.Hide this!Advertise here!