How do I determine my amp's output impedance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
GM,
What about this? Those drivers in the photo are the tops of FH3s.

Attachments

• frugeldesk.jpg
    frugeldesk.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 96
GM,
What about this? Those drivers in the photo are the tops of FH3s.

Interesting! Sonically, I'm having a hard time 'imagining' how this large reflective boundary ~blocking the acoustic path between the driver, horn mouth that makes up the acoustic XO that blends them together will impact the critical mids [vocals] BW.

Personally wouldn't waste my time trying it other than out of curiosity, but human hearing perception being what it is, not going to say that it can't become an acquired 'taste' since our internal processor makes us highly adaptable.

What's the owner's thoughts?

GM

Wish the web archive saved early forum threads/pics; I did a wall horn for a guy in Greece? that worked well, but don't recall the driver and didn't save it. Guess your windows wouldn't allow it regardless.

I suggested the BIB half in jest, but ceiling loaded seems a much better choice than 'peek-a-boo' floor loaders.

GM

Interesting! Sonically, I'm having a hard time 'imagining' how this large reflective boundary ~blocking the acoustic path between the driver, horn mouth that makes up the acoustic XO that blends them together will impact the critical mids [vocals] BW.

Personally wouldn't waste my time trying it other than out of curiosity, but human hearing perception being what it is, not going to say that it can't become an acquired 'taste' since our internal processor makes us highly adaptable.

What's the owner's thoughts?

GM

Sorry, just now checked in and saw the PM.

I'd say the sound quality is excellent. The sound seems to be coming right from the monitor screen. Another poster asked about placing a towel on the table to help with reflections and at first I dismissed it, I didn't want to have a pair of towels on the desk top. Later I tried it just for kicks and it killed the imaging.

I have a Sonos Connect hooked up, I run this set up as a stand alone stereo in that room even when the computer is not running (source selection in the DAC). It's not going to win any SPL wars, but it actually sounds very nice, very balanced.

From one of the threads:

"I mentioned this in the Planet10 thread- The imaging is so precise, it's like the computer screen is the source right in front of you. So if there's any reflections, I don't notice a detrimental effect. It's funny, I started thinking about this a couple of years ago, and reflections off the desk were one of the issues I thought about then.

Any pair of speakers sitting on a desk would suffer the same reflections, so I guess it just doesn't matter to me. I could try a towel, but since I'm not going to leave towels on there the result would be moot."

Original build thread:

Under Construction FrugalHorn LegHorn

The Frugel-Horn Mk3 thread, I enter at post #1179

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...3-builds-build-questions-118.html#post4584323

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.