Audio Nirvana Fullrange 8" super alcino plus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not Dave, but one of the easiest builds are the Needles, wich exist in versions that fit many of the Mark Audio drivers. What you should use depends on your room (size), amps (you already mentioned that) and music habits (how loud, what kind of music, ...). I prefer the 10.3M driver, and a EL34 PP tube amp is also what i use with my (custom) setup with them. So my recommendation is probally the Needle for that driver:

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensils/Pensil103-plan-300114.pdf

More variations are found here: http://www.frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensils/Pensil-Series-set-100711.pdf

Merci beaucoup Waxx,

of course I'm open to all suggestions, and I thank you for yours.
I will give a look to those german speakers.

Mainly rock (Police, Stones, Straits, something more recent), sometimes classical, sometimes something harder (RATM). No need to reach discoteque-like SPL.

My idea would be to bring the EL34PP with the Klipsch in my parents house (no close neighbours), and easier to be managed pair of speakers with the EL84PP in mine.

Depending on the choice, it could be the main room (around 5x8) or my studio room (around 5x3). First one would be better but less available, second worse but almost always available to hear music.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As waxx suggests room size, taste, and how loud you listen all paly a role in the amplifier you choose. Power aside, i do prefer the EL84 amps i have heard.

An EL34 amp typically outputs about 3dB more power than EL84.

I am currently using a tridoe wired Class A PP EL84 amp (3.2w at clipping) which sounds really quite stunning. The power, even in my big room, is not as big an issue as i expected. And it sounds REALLY good. Rivals the SIT-3.

dave

Merci beaucoup Waxx,

of course I'm open to all suggestions, and I thank you for yours.
I will give a look to those german speakers.

Mainly rock (Police, Stones, Straits, something more recent), sometimes classical, sometimes something harder (RATM). No need to reach discoteque-like SPL.

My idea would be to bring the EL34PP with the Klipsch in my parents house (no close neighbours), and easier to be managed pair of speakers with the EL84PP in mine.

Depending on the choice, it could be the main room (around 5x8) or my studio room (around 5x3). First one would be better but less available, second worse but almost always available to hear music.

Well that Pensil could surely work in that main room with the EL84 PP if they are in Pentode modus and give +8w of power. I use the 32w EL34PP but have to pad down my preamp 10dB as it's way to powerfull for the space that is a bit smaller in size (4x6x2.4m). 10dB padding is cutting the power less than 1/8th of the power so less than 4w. 8watt gives a bit more power for the slightly bigger room. In your study even the 3.4w will probally be enough...

Both the EL84PP and the EL34PP are in pentode mode with UL taps, without global feedback but with local feedback anode-to-grid on the power tubes. I have around 15+ Wrms from the former and 40 Wrms from the latter. I like both, but I admit I’ve aleays loved the sound of EL84 both for hifi and guitar amps as well.

As for the speakers, it seems that 4” is the best choice for the first pair of full range. Am I right?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Amen, brother

As waxx suggests room size, taste, and how loud you listen all paly a role in the amplifier you choose. Power aside, i do prefer the EL84 amps i have heard.

An EL34 amp typically outputs about 3dB more power than EL84.

I am currently using a tridoe wired Class A PP EL84 amp (3.2w at clipping) which sounds really quite stunning. The power, even in my big room, is not as big an issue as i expected. And it sounds REALLY good. Rivals the SIT-3.

dave

We agree here. Other times we have disagreed. Not a problem, I would still sit down and have a nice cup of coffee with you.

As for the speakers, it seems that 4” is the best choice for the first pair of full range. Am I right?

Technically, 8" is 'best' overall since it's the mean based on acoustic power distribution [1/f], so it's what the pioneers used, then subdivided it to a three way [tri-ax].

A 4" is ~ the size area of the 8"er's tweeter segment, so 'missing' 2/3 of a 'full range' driver's bandwidth [BW], ergo even with a low Fs, still a tweeter at best unless used near-field at low power or XO'd to a proper [mid] woofer to cover < ~500 Hz.

So, based on this, the most pertinent question is for you to answer, i.e. does it meet the needs of your intended app both near and long term or......?

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.