Audio Nirvana Fullrange 8" super alcino plus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, I am. Now, I know this is not the best way to audition things however when you consider all things equal, nothing wrong with it

But things are never equal. Anything on line is going to suffer from being convolved with the system driving it, the room they are in, the mic it is recorded with and your room and playback system.

No way you can get anything like a real audion over YouTube.

dave

But things are never equal. Anything on line is going to suffer from being convolved with the system driving it, the room they are in, the mic it is recorded with and your room and playback system.

No way you can get anything like a real audion over YouTube.

dave

agreed!

.... but read post 34, fortunately he’s based his decision on a live listen

Last edited:
For design, this will get tricky. I found someone who manufactures high-end speakers, Volti Audio - Hi-Efficiency Horn Speakers. He had some curved panels from an old project laying around so I bought them. The issue is that they are 33" in height but 17" long. According to common sense audio, the seller of Audio N, if I go with the 12" driver, I would need to have a cabinet size of the 5.6 MkII
(44T x 14.75W x 18.75D) built for me. Or I can go with the 2.8 Series I
(38.5T x 14.5W x 11.25D). Since the curved panels I bought are at a fixed height of 33", what I will do is build the following box (32T x 15w x17L) I might even go an extra inch wider since the width is where I have control. What do you think?

as pointed out earlier, the manufacturers recommended enclosures are not ideal so i wouldn't feel constrained by them. i went with an open backed box, kind of a ‘U-baffle’ or Boffle (search that up) and have been more than satisfied with it.

Thats cool. What did you think about the speed of the driver? How about the soundstage, layered? Sweetspot, large, small, beam'ie? Also, how about microdynamics changes from quiet to loud, jump factor?

Brother, I honestly cant answer all those questions. But what I can say is that I have listened to a lot of high-end systems and with those systems, speakers that cost a minimum of 10K. Speakers like Boenicke, the sonus faber aida(100k) B&W Diamond series +10k etc and I would put the AN 12" right up there with them. I would say the same about the Super 8 plus alnico. Only problem with the 8" is that bass is not there for me. I would put them up there with the B&W bookshelf 803's which are over 5K.

That's a long thread to go through. I aint got all that time to read all those pages :) .... I am a writer, I write novels, or at least I am working on one right now.
Do you have something that shows a feed of the speakers playing?

unfortunately not, never had the means to record properly.

if you already heard the 12” driver live and liked it, why not copy the box you heard ? time spent worrying about it is time better spent building.

perhaps build your box with a removable back like I did and do the experiment, with different room positioning.

.... I trust you write short novels then :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
minimum of 10K. Speakers like Boenicke

Which one. It should be noted that the one i am most familiar with uses a fr as midTweeter that you can buy for just over $10. Fountek FE85 3" Aluminum Cone Full Range

Just because it is pricey does not make it expensive. I have heard many $10k + speakers that do not do as well as many that i have built (for much, much less).

dave

Folks, question for you please. So I have decided to purchase the Audio Nirvana super 12” alnico however, I don’t really want a big box. The dimensions of the box recommended are: Height 44” x Width 14.75” x Length 18.75. But the dimension gives the speaker a nice deep bass sound with soft mids and highs that are not too noticeable.

What I want to do is build my box with the following dimension: Height 32” x width 14.75” in front, however the sides will taper off at an angle to where the back is 10” to 11” wide, and the length will be 17”.

What kind of sound do you think the box will produce with my new dimensions?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.