Audio Nirvana Fullrange 8" super alcino plus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Being that this is the area for full range drivers, can anyone tell me their thoughts on Audio Nirvana's Super 8 alcino plus? I am looking to buy these. They run about $1,600 bucks so Id like to make sure I'm making a good purchase.
I'm also looking at buying the AN tube amp el84 I believe. From common sense audio it runs about 600 bucks.

The first problem with Audio Nirvana-8 is the lack of bass.
Therefore, there is time to think about Audio Nirvana-12. And without alnico - ordinary ferrite.
The PP amplifier on the EL84 would be a great choice for them.

I too was going to buy the 12” Super Ferrite but I won’t pay the Trump tariffs. Instead I recommend looking on eBay for drivers direct from Hong Kong, from DavidLouis, there are some very nice looking drivers there that I think are worth trying.

2 unit DavidLouis P12 hiend 12 inch fullrange full range speaker | eBay

I was going to pick up a pair whilst I was in HK last week but didn’t have time.

also:

pair 2 unit HiEND 8inch fullrange speaker 97db PK lowther KO fostex | eBay

2unit DavidLouis diatone P10 hiend 10inch fullrange full range speaker pair | eBay

Attachments

• 6278A3A7-7DD3-486E-B62B-65CEF714E428.jpeg
    6278A3A7-7DD3-486E-B62B-65CEF714E428.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 407
  • CBF9E2D2-8CE4-4CB9-AF98-22DBE1D60111.jpeg
    CBF9E2D2-8CE4-4CB9-AF98-22DBE1D60111.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Thanks guys for your responses. This is a DIY project and I will post pictures and videos as I come along. This person in the link below followed David, the owner of Audio Nirvana's specs for the Super 8 alnico and this is the result.
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
Also listen to this; YouTube

I think it sounds good, just needs a little more bass which he could do with a powered sub. He is also using the Music Paradise amp with k88 shuguang

So based on what Ive listened to and the configurations I have summed up, the box I will build will be the following: (44T x 14.75W x 18.75D)

Last edited:
I too was going to buy the 12” Super Ferrite but I won’t pay the Trump tariffs. Instead I recommend looking on eBay for drivers direct from Hong Kong, from DavidLouis, there are some very nice looking drivers there that I think are worth trying.

2 unit DavidLouis P12 hiend 12 inch fullrange full range speaker | eBay

I was going to pick up a pair whilst I was in HK last week but didn’t have time.

also:

pair 2 unit HiEND 8inch fullrange speaker 97db PK lowther KO fostex | eBay

2unit DavidLouis diatone P10 hiend 10inch fullrange full range speaker pair | eBay

Are these better than the A Nirvana 8 plus alnico?

is fs "stable" with those AN? - my Super8 stamped frame alnico fs moved a half octave upwards over a period of several years to the mid 60's (raising qts too) I'd spend $250 a pair for something (maybe PS220 - SEAS FA22RCZ- FE203en)

and save the rest for music, perhaps DAC and amp - or a whole modest video setup. (I have the DavidLousic L.Cao F6 Diatone type and its quite extended (dead on axis}) on top but one
has to deal with qts ~0.7)

Does an alnico motor always buy an improvement in sound quality? - I've heard "different" - perhaps better and also where it did not matter (big potted alnico EV SP12)

note fs and qts - these started pretty close to spec (my AN10 started with fs and qts higher than spec)

Xbrbix3.gif

VjcAXpF.gif

Last edited:
Are you auditioning them online?

Yes, I am. Now, I know this is not the best way to audition things however when you consider all things equal, nothing wrong with it And if you think about it, there is no way I would be able to hear everything I would want in person. I would be looking at close to 10k just to do that. I'll be going to Russia, London, etc.

So when I hear something like the Super 8 alnico by A Nirvana, from several different media sources ie over the phone, media files sent to me, youtube… from different boxes and owners, it gives me a general feel for what they sound like. And speaker that I have seen in person, and heard online like the B&W prestige edition etc, they sound alike...

is fs "stable" with those AN? - my Super8 stamped frame alnico fs moved a half octave upwards over a period of several years to the mid 60's (raising qts too) I'd spend $250 a pair for something (maybe PS220 - SEAS FA22RCZ- FE203en)

and save the rest for music, perhaps DAC and amp - or a whole modest video setup. (I have the DavidLousic L.Cao F6 Diatone type and its quite extended (dead on axis}) on top but one
has to deal with qts ~0.7)

Does an alnico motor always buy an improvement in sound quality? - I've heard "different" - perhaps better and also where it did not matter (big potted alnico EV SP12)

note fs and qts - these started pretty close to spec (my AN10 started with fs and qts higher than spec)

Xbrbix3.gif

VjcAXpF.gif
Ive tried to listen to DavidLousic L.Cao F6 Diatone on the web but cant find any postings.

But the 15" would need a big box. I dont really want to do a big box..

For design, this will get tricky. I found someone who manufactures high-end speakers, Volti Audio - Hi-Efficiency Horn Speakers. He had some curved panels from an old project laying around so I bought them. The issue is that they are 33" in height but 17" long. According to common sense audio, the seller of Audio N, if I go with the 12" driver, I would need to have a cabinet size of the 5.6 MkII
(44T x 14.75W x 18.75D) built for me. Or I can go with the 2.8 Series I
(38.5T x 14.5W x 11.25D). Since the curved panels I bought are at a fixed height of 33", what I will do is build the following box (32T x 15w x17L) I might even go an extra inch wider since the width is where I have control. What do you think?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.