Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visaton FRS8-8 Enclosure Design Help
Visaton FRS8-8 Enclosure Design Help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2019, 09:12 PM   #1
imk is offline imk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Visaton FRS8-8 Enclosure Design Help

Hello,
I have a pair of visaton FRS8 8 ohm, i need a home/enclosure for and I am having problems even getting going on the project as online enclosure calculators i have tried have issues with is specked Qts of 1.04.

All i am looking to make is a pair of small desktop/pc speakers; can someone help me with a bit of a design help please?

Even just the unported volume or ported volume plus dia/length, would be a major help. The rest i think i could figure for myself :-)

Many thanks in advance imk
Old 14th August 2019, 09:34 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

With a 120 Hz Fs/1+Qts, make the biggest box you can tolerate since it will technically still be way too small if vented, use pegboard or similar for the back plate and stuff it with polyfil or similar to 'taste'.

GM
Old 14th August 2019, 10:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
With a 120 Hz Fs/1+Qts, make the biggest box you can tolerate since it will technically still be way too small if vented, use pegboard or similar for the back plate and stuff it with polyfil or similar to 'taste'.

GM
GM
Many thanks for the post it is good starting point.
I was evening thinking of buying a pair of these CUBE 11cm boxes and using the top as the back and screwing it on. So i expect your saying drill a bunch of holes in it, stuff with poly and hope for the best?

CUBE Square plain wooden box with removable lid - choice of sizes (WB20-23) | eBay
Old 14th August 2019, 10:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You're welcome! Well, ideally need at least ~70% of its area open to make it somewhat aperiodic [very leaky vented] to 'bleed off' a bit of its 'Qness', but not so little/much damping that it sounds too 'boomy'/'lean'. Ideally the back would be some window screen tightly stretched over the opening and it needn't be the back for that matter in case you want to put them against a wall.

GM
Old 15th August 2019, 08:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
You're welcome! Well, ideally need at least ~70% of its area open to make it somewhat aperiodic [very leaky vented] to 'bleed off' a bit of its 'Qness', but not so little/much damping that it sounds too 'boomy'/'lean'. Ideally the back would be some window screen tightly stretched over the opening and it needn't be the back for that matter in case you want to put them against a wall.

GM
GM,
Then would it make more sense to make a T-line type enclosure for these FRS8's
Old 15th August 2019, 08:39 AM   #6
mjf is offline mjf  Austria
diyAudio Member

i built the frs8 into a 1,5 liter closed box (try out 1l.......2l), stuffed with polywool (or cotton wool, lambs wool,.........).
experiments: drilling holes into the back of the box
damping material (carpet,...) onto the walls inside
Old 15th August 2019, 09:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imk View Post
GM,
Then would it make more sense to make a T-line type enclosure for these FRS8's
It's what I'd do.

Assuming a SS amp, tune to ~120/1.04 = ~115 Hz with a total net Vb = ~4x Vas, stuff to 'taste'.

GM

Visaton FRS8-8 Enclosure Design HelpHide this!Advertise here!