First time measuring frequency response, am I doing this right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I built a pair of speakers using Dayton Audio's PS95-8 full range driver and my own 3D printed enclosure design. I just got a Dayton IMM-6 microphone and the AudioTools app for my phone and I think I got all of the calibration setup properly. The curves I'm seeing from my testing are similar to what Dayton Audio shows, but they claim their graph is with no smoothing and it's way smoother than mine even when I'm using 1/3 octave smoothing. I am a complete beginner at this kind of testing so I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong. I had audio coming through just one channel for the test, with the microphone about 6 feet away and the volume set at normal listening levels.

Does my graph look reasonable? Do you need more information from me?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• dayton-fr.JPG
    dayton-fr.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 1-3smoothing.jpg
    1-3smoothing.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4966.jpg
    IMG_4966.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 103
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yours look fine. They measure on an IEC standard large open baffle and maybe in an anechoic chamber.

Get a USB based microphone. The phone based ones are really limiting as there are tons of features in REW software (free) and use functions to gate only the first 5 or 6 cycles - that eliminates ripples and dips caused by reflections from the room.

Measure at 0.5m away to reduce room effects and gate out reflections past that.

Yours look fine. They measure on an IEC standard large open baffle and maybe in an anechoic chamber.

Get a USB based microphone. The phone based ones are really limiting as there are tons of features in REW software (free) and use functions to gate only the first 5 or 6 cycles - that eliminates ripples and dips caused by reflections from the room.

Measure at 0.5m away to reduce room effects and gate out reflections past that.

Thanks, I'll try that. I have REW and supposedly this mic should work with it, but I don't really want to lug my desktop down three flights of stairs to hook it up. My laptop doesn't have a soundcard with line in and line out so I don't know if it can be calibrated... Maybe I'll just suck it up and carry the beast downstairs :spin:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.