HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Indeed they do, and yours are +1 in drivers :D
I could have added the 25th driver but then I would have to be creative when tilting them up (ceiling is 219cm)
I am 186cm tall and the mk2's dwarf me :cool:

Here are my smaller mk1's, guess I'll have to take both mk1 and mk2 out next summer and do a comparison shot :D

Once both are playing I will take a break from building, and finish them off exteriourwise until the holidays. Its been a several long nights and a lot heavy lifting - I am tired ;)

Attachments

• HalairColumn (1).jpg
    HalairColumn (1).jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Today was indeed the day :scared:

Wired up the lines, put some power into them and what came out is best described as "pure glass"...

This was a world apart compared to my mk1´s.
Bottom end was so much richer, layered and the ambience / 3D soundscape was the best I have ever heard - it was ridiculous :eek:

EQ is done by ear only and isnt perfect by any means but its close, darn close.
Hope to score better DSP tools soon :deerman:

However - I may have an issue with my system as the amp is tripping some failsafe on occation. It dont seem to be volume related so it might be a low resistance detection - or heat. But the cabinet do not feel hot, barely warm. Amp is an Emotiva UPA5, 600VA PSU and rated at 5x 125W/185 into 8/4ohm. Arrays are 6ohm nominal and should be within spec.

Will have to investigate....

First stereo impression sounds great :D...:D

Trouble shooting power amp can probably be bit of a headache or time stealer, does it have a indicator that indicate what channel out of the five that triggers the fail safe mode, can think of if power amp is real DC coupled then if preamp have some small DC offset error it can trig the power amp failsafe detector circuit and if that's the case you can use a DMM in DC milllivolts mode to measure each preamp outs cacble and see if any of them carry a DC potential greater than say in 10-20mV area.

Its not one channel that consistently that trips, also not only at high volume.
So its a random channel, out of the 4 used that trips. On one occation two channels indicated fault, both outputs to one speaker.

Its the same DAC I have been using for a few years but the changes are:
  • Simple/dirt cheap RCA cable used to make-shift a Y-arrangement. Each cable is 4m long and the Y -split i close to the DAC. So with two long, thin cables running might make it worse.
  • System impendance is down from 6,3 to 6ohm. Not much.
I will make new signal cables, shorten them and have the Y-split close to the amp. Will also check the DAC outputs for DC offset, thanks for the tip :D

Last edited:
@wesayso

I have not had any issues with the mk1´s. When hooking up mk2 I needed to make a RCA-Y cable to split the signal. This was done using cheap and long signal cable, with the Y-split close to the DAC. So it could possibly allow for voltage oscillations over the total length of the entire cable, spanning 8m end to end? I had one or two stages enter failsafe, and it was random which side was affected. It was dominantly one stage that displayed error. When two stages stated error it was either left or right array.

Redid a shorter cable this evening with the Y-split close to the amp and have not had issues since, albeit short test period. Time will tell...

Placed the wife in front of the lines tonite, for one song - YouTube
She dont care about speaker systems at all but she did ask me twice, sincerely where the ambience speakers were - not believing my first "there are none"-answer :D

@Lingwendil:
Tell you what, the TC9´s are really well behaved - with very few vices.
They are not "best single 3,5" out there" but they are cheap, available and well playing :)

Time to clean up the room and give the speakers some proper lighting :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 78917650_498060104144088_1450130990927183872_n.jpg
    78917650_498060104144088_1450130990927183872_n.jpg
    744.3 KB · Views: 229
Any "peakiness" or areas you think could use some EQ?

The entire freq.range need EQ when running them full range and without a dedicated sub/bass system:D
Not to mask peakiness etc but to counter the line natural attenuation of LF/HF range. The TC9 HF peak work in our favour to counter some of that HF roll-off.

Adding a tweeter would also aid covering the HF-range, but add more issues also (since it being a point source and farfield vs the line source / nearfield)

Last edited:
No hurry will mean haraldo wasn't invited before next month :p

That said look forward what meeting brings, thanks share story details so far it has been a pleasure follow what looks a high quality build :)

I will welcome all external feedback as its easy to become blind to ones own achievements.

My system as a whole is rather simple:
AppleTV2
Benchmark DAC2
Emotiva UPA5 amplifier
180kg of speakers with a moving mass = 120g

well guys, I am working my butt off these days, I have time to work, sleep and eat and have some beer in between and listening to music. I don't even have time to visit friends at all... work is completely insane :D

"Stamp" or "no stamp", as referred earlier on in this thread has nothing to do with it. I spent countless hours over the last 15 years going through all kinds of shops auditioning just about every hi-end loudspeaker there is on the market, realizing that most of them are just complete crap and still people buy these things ... like € 210.00 speaker that can't play classical music.... all the crescendo´s are compressed off in a way that makes me weep; good grief.

At the end of the day it should be simple... do you like the music from a rig or not.

For me if I should go and listen to some rig, it's incredibly simple. Do I like the music, can I relax, does it make me feel good, is it real. Is that a genuine Steinway Model D grand piano playing there...

For all these things to come together, many of the technical things must be there close to perfect, dynamics, linearity, control on phase and much more. I don't care to listen for dynamics or clarity or whatever ... it is just inherent properties that must be there for everything to come together. There are some really great speakers that doesn't have all of that, like some small standmounts that can be completely magical, but then they lag in some areas of grand scale dynamics, but it can still be insanely magical...

In my mind this is exactly what Halair is targeting, a close to no compromise project on making speakers with great capabilities, but the end target I believe is just great experiences. I am really looking forward to the end result :p

I will welcome all external feedback as its easy to become blind to ones own achievements.

My system as a whole is rather simple:
AppleTV2
Benchmark DAC2
Emotiva UPA5 amplifier
180kg of speakers with a moving mass = 120g

I think it's a great combo :p
I think simplicity is great :p

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.