HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LA mk3 (Anno 2025) ?? :D

Somehow that made me think of this:
attachment.php

:rolleyes::D probably not your intention....

Attachments

• flames.jpg
    flames.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 450
BTW - just browsed PartsExpress and noticed that the white TG09 is now available in both 4 and 8ohm versions. Price has dropped some too apparently, the TC09 is like $12 and the TG09 is $16.

I am tempted to rethink the choice of drivers despite having the TC09´s on hand already... :lickface:

BTW - just browsed PartsExpress and noticed that the white TG09 is now available in both 4 and 8ohm versions. Price has dropped some too apparently, the TC09 is like $12 and the TG09 is $16.

I am tempted to rethink the choice of drivers despite having the TC09´s on hand already... :lickface:

I have thought about that, on more than one occasion. I was willing to spend the money, but in the end, I feel that the actual room + processing matters more than the switch between these drivers.

After all, we draw are own target, don't rely on a driver + box to do just that. People who have played with a few different EQ methods and targets should have heard large differences even from the same drivers. Heck, even small changes can have huge influences to our perception.

The TG9 8 ohm is an interesting driver though. I wish you good luck with making that decision (lol). I'm sticking with paper.

My experience would have me going for the TG9. It is fine… i am not a fan of the TC9.

dave

We should more than know you declare not to be a TC9 fan : ) that said think your TC9 nag is probably nothing but a old objective war with xrk971 and his great work publish objective research data for varius tranducers, think to guide Halair about TC9 verse TG9 it would be much more fair look serius at those transducers objective data in a compare rather than use your subjective opinion for a driver that seems nag you so much you probable never get over it.

Lets look up the published data in a compare and then please tell why you recommend TG9 over TC9, myself recommend TC9 and reasons is bit higher R(e)/lower L(e)/better thermal power/better sensitivity/lower M(ms), in my book TG9 only wins on the lower f(s) point and little less impedance swing on the resonance but mind you that TC9 is also exstremely low on resonance swing if we compare to most other tranducers and probably a point that combined together with the exelent L(e) makes it sound so realistic because every wiggle from pure flat on impedance graph will add a bit of phase distortion because transducer is a current device and power amp is voltage device.

In below both are modelled in a 4 liters volume because that is probably close to the virtual volume number where Halair end up, also T/S parameters are listed.
attachment.php

Now lets trace these two public graphs for TC9/TG9 over into VituixCAD.
attachment.php

TC9 datasheet curves EQed flat as a pancake on axis with 2nd order BW stopbands at 20Hz and 20kHz.
attachment.php

TG9 datasheet curves EQed flat as a pancake on axis with 2nd order BW stopbands at 20Hz and 20kHz.
attachment.php

TC9 datasheet curves EQed flat as a pancake on axis with 2nd order BW stopbands at 20Hz and 20kHz.
attachment.php

TG9 datasheet curves EQed flat as a pancake on axis with 2nd order BW stopbands at 20Hz and 20kHz.
attachment.php

Attachments

• TG9_2.png
    TG9_2.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 486
  • TC9_2.png
    TC9_2.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 504
  • TG9_1.png
    TG9_1.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 391
  • TC9_1.png
    TC9_1.png
    31 KB · Views: 417
  • TC9_TG9_2.png
    TC9_TG9_2.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 473
  • TC9_TG9.png
    TC9_TG9.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 462
I am at home with a fever so I´ll read / absorb the TC/TG info later :sour:

On a more pragmatic note, I pulled out my bigger camera in order to try to provide the "better" image, as the first array is now standing on its own:

Attachments

• LS2019-2_small.jpg
    LS2019-2_small.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 153
  • LS2019-9-small.jpg
    LS2019-9-small.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 174
  • LS2019-17-small.jpg
    LS2019-17-small.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 173
2nd tower glued up, as the cabinet lack bottom cap and rear walls I could slide them over my other array. (Sorry no pic yet)

While the existing 2x20 array look big, the mk2's look humongous :eek:
Taller, wider and deeper....

My order for 14kg epoxy is behing shipped later today, I hope it will arrive in time for next week as the Mrs is away all next week :yikes:

Casting is not that far away now...

Last edited:
I need more drivers then...like 48x TG09´s !! Because I dont have enough for two complete pairs :eek:

No, probably wont happen anythime soon. If I had some distance behind my cinema couch I might be more tempted, the two flanked seats are just up against their corners.
Perhaps a couple discrete ambience channels hidden within the soffits ;)

Yes, I feel progress have been pretty decent despite a couple of serious setbacks (timewise)
Knock on wood, the cabinets did get done without any drama so now I am gearing up for the next phase, casting... After that knocking on wood will sound very different.... ;)

Last edited:
There is some Thiele-Small Parameter differences between the 4 and 8ohm version of the TG9:

TG9-8
Peerless by Tymphany TG9FD10-08 3-1/2" Glass Fiber Cone Full-Range Driver 8 Ohm

TG9-4
Peerless by Tymphany TG9FD-10-04 3-1/2" Glass Fiber Cone Full Range

For a straight, fullrange linesource - which may fit "better"?
I dont have $750 to spend on new drivers at the moment so this is hypothetical :frosty:

I don't think differences in TS params should drive the decision. TS params are about LF roll off and can be equalized away, provided you have enough amp power. Finding an adequate amp for a lower impedance array might be easier.
I would look for significant differences in the HF frequency response and polars and choose based on that.

Brief update:

All ovals have been shaped, cut to length (+1cm) and glued to the cabinet.
Tomorrow I will check/seal any "leaks" between the front baffle and the ovals in preparation of casting - which might very well happen this coming weekl :D
(Provided the 14kg of epoxy arrive on schedule...)

Attachments

• 73388503_514258262458070_5120339368954822656_n.jpg
    73388503_514258262458070_5120339368954822656_n.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 249
I will check that out next time I am putting drivers into the webshop basket ;)

My next main purchase will be the miniDSP2x4HD but I´ll do that later once the lines are up and running.

Today I kept momentum and a 1-2cm thick EG-mix have been cast, tomorrow I will relocate the speaker to the home theatre room because when the main bulk of epoxy arrives it will get heavy in a heartbeat :eek:

Later tonite I´ll start preparing the wiring, all those little things that:Popworm:
Those will be added once the main pour is done and cabinet turned over for the rear wall EG-pour. The backside of that wall will be open so I can access the individual wiring and a rear cover plate will hide it all.

Not much to show as there are no real visual change to the first one :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.