HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I appreciate your efforts fluid :hbeat:

Your first set of PreEQ/FIR filters are what I prefer the most so far by ear, and I have yet to try experimenting with a house curve applied on top.
(Other than a LowShelf filter from 120hz to boost bottom for movies)

Next week I am away, gone skiing and little prospect of serious time in front of the arrays prior to that. If you would like any data from me prior to that, let me know.
I have been learning myself as I go along so it is not totally one sided ;)

If you guys can get loop back measurements with the MiniDSP inline to work, testing would be faster. One can even feed it with a measured IR to get an idea of what to expect.
I bet fluid knows what I'm getting at. Sort of virtual measurement sessions.
I know what you mean and it would be much easier to electrically measure the minidsp in a loopback than setting up an acoustic measurement. I can see the issue in the measurement above and in the minidsp screenshot halair has sent me, it looks like the whole filter has been squashed from end to end, it is like a 48 96 sample mismatch but I have been careful to not make that mistake twice. The Minidsp reports my 2040 tap filters as 4080 but my cut ones at 1020 which is what they should be but then it squashes the filter. I am at somewhat of a loss on how to try and get round it :confused:

My next idea is to try and make a rephase FIR out of REW auto EQ as rephase can output directly to minidsp bin format. If that works we will be getting somewhere :)

I could set up my PC with Teamviewer and allow remote access :scratch2:
It's possible but time differences will probably make it difficult.

I have made you a set of filters in rephase based off the DRC target. In simulation they are fairly similar. Purely minimum phase at this point.

If it works then I will explain the process :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Rephase v Target.jpg
    Rephase v Target.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 326
I think that is the problem in that the measurement is made at 48K but the filter needs to be generated at 96K.

Mark100 has offered to help and because he has a MiniDSP that can change sampling frequency it should confirm if this is the case.

Because the file is raw and not self describing it is easy for a translation error to occur between what was encoded and decoded at the other end.

I have an idea on how to get around it if the problem is isolated to that.

Hi guys, yeah, finally have a chance to maybe give a little assistance back, in appreciation of all the help i've been given by the line-array gang :D...

Halair, i just sent a PM to fluid saying i get the same 'trying to load 4080 taps' with his file meant for 2040 taps @ 96kHz.
I'll keep working with him to help figure out what's going on....
which is also helping me learn DRC... yay!

Oh, if you'd like to go ahead and get something running with your 2x4HD, I could build some quick FIR files off your measurements. PM me if so.

But i think i read you'e about to hit the slopes ...you lucky dog !

Yes, leaving for the slopes this Sunday, spending the next week skiing :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

I didnt get to take new measurements last nite, its crazy at the moment and tonite may not be any better, Friday is Valentines Day and my better half will demand attention :violin: I should be able to get measurements before leaving on Sunday however.

Stay tuned :)

Attachments

• cold.jpg
    cold.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 391
  • peak.jpg
    peak.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 276
I think I have been able to isolate the issue with the files being transferred to the MiniDSP.

I was able to duplicate the issue of the file ending up at 4080 taps instead of 2040. It seems to be an issue created from converting the file from raw pcm to wav and then back again. If I rewrite the batch script I can use the raw pcm file from drc and change the extension to bin. Importing that back into Audacity from raw comes out at 2040 and the correct impulse shape so :xfingers: you should have some to play with when you get back

Only in CAD :D

haha, I like it .... you didn’t finish mk2 yet and already thinking mk3 :D
Did you buy white roses for Valentine’s? (hint hint :p)

I’m hardly in here now these days, completely stuffed at work

Next month though I will try to get some inspiration by checking out a new line source design with 8 12” woofers set back to back On the side in a transmission line, the full range drivers are also TL loaded I believe. All in a single cabinet.

I guess a loudspeaker system with 16 12” woofers should be called full range :D

I would be concerned that such a system would be so powerful that it can send the windows in the livingroom across to the other side of the strait... thinking how much air will be moved and at what force.... :eek:

Last edited:
@Harald

Trysil - my in-laws rent a cabin during winter vacation so...easy decision :)
attachment.php

My main objective is a good and fun listening experience, which I have in spades :D Too bad time is short at the moment so I dont get to spend too much time in front of them.

Fluid have patiently helped me develop EQ/FIR filters for my miniDSP which work very well but they have not been tweaked much yet (due to lack of time to play). But the baseline is excellent and with some house curve experiments.... :D

I dont have any intent to use both analoge & digital, only what I feel is required.

Attachments

• trysil.jpg
    trysil.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 441
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.