Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)
HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08) Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM   #241
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

That is good news! They do look impressive at that angle .
Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM   #242
Halair is offline Halair  Norway
diyAudio Member

Indeed they do, and yours are +1 in drivers
I could have added the 25th driver but then I would have to be creative when tilting them up (ceiling is 219cm)
I am 186cm tall and the mk2's dwarf me

Here are my smaller mk1's, guess I'll have to take both mk1 and mk2 out next summer and do a comparison shot

Once both are playing I will take a break from building, and finish them off exteriourwise until the holidays. Its been a several long nights and a lot heavy lifting - I am tired
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HalairColumn (1).jpg (108.4 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Halair; Yesterday at 01:05 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM   #243
Halair is offline Halair  Norway
diyAudio Member

Today was indeed the day

Wired up the lines, put some power into them and what came out is best described as "pure glass"...

This was a world apart compared to my mk1s.
Bottom end was so much richer, layered and the ambience / 3D soundscape was the best I have ever heard - it was ridiculous

EQ is done by ear only and isnt perfect by any means but its close, darn close.
Hope to score better DSP tools soon

However - I may have an issue with my system as the amp is tripping some failsafe on occation. It dont seem to be volume related so it might be a low resistance detection - or heat. But the cabinet do not feel hot, barely warm. Amp is an Emotiva UPA5, 600VA PSU and rated at 5x 125W/185 into 8/4ohm. Arrays are 6ohm nominal and should be within spec.

Will have to investigate....
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM   #244
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

First stereo impression sounds great ...

Trouble shooting power amp can probably be bit of a headache or time stealer, does it have a indicator that indicate what channel out of the five that triggers the fail safe mode, can think of if power amp is real DC coupled then if preamp have some small DC offset error it can trig the power amp failsafe detector circuit and if that's the case you can use a DMM in DC milllivolts mode to measure each preamp outs cacble and see if any of them carry a DC potential greater than say in 10-20mV area.

HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)Hide this!Advertise here!