Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2019, 10:23 PM   #211
haraldo is offline haraldo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halair View Post
30kg worth of EG cast in place, now I need to get some sleep before work, so I can do the last 20kg or so.... Each 10kg require about 1h30min from mixing to compacted, a lot of small areas that need to be filled properly as the EG do not flow one mm by itself

If the last 15-20kg can be cast tomorrow I should be able to pull the liners on thursday/friday....
With that extremely low viscosity isn’t there a pretty big risk you get som void’s in there that could give you unwanted internal resonances?
or is that a non-issue or, do you have that thing under control too?
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:33 PM   #212
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi haraldo,

Think it sounds/looks HalAir works with overview in build process, you know concentrated and organizational and also think remember he did some quality "tap test" on cabinet #1 to search for "hollow", below is some visual history from cabinet #1 process, that said imagine there will be plenty of resonances down the road when feeded some track materials ...

HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)-h_1-png
Attached Images
File Type: png H_1.png (531.8 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by BYRTT; 3rd December 2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:37 PM   #213
Halair is offline Halair  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haraldo View Post
With that extremely low viscosity isnít there a pretty big risk you get som voidís in there that could give you unwanted internal resonances?
or is that a non-issue or, do you have that thing under control too?
There is the chance of that, taking it slow reduce the risk - but on my first cabinets there were some voids and a few holes in the interdriver chamber walls.
What kind of effect it may have on resonances I dont know, but dont think it will affect much

Everything under control? Hardly

Another milestone have been achieved, cabinet #2 is cast.
47kg sand and 5,6kg epoxy was the grand total and its now left to cure until friday Another 5-6kg will form the rearwalls, scheduled for this weekend.

Its getting heavier than anticipated, per line:
58kg of EG
30kg of wood/MDF
7kg of drivers

Weight vs mms is approaching 1700:1
Old 4th December 2019, 12:19 AM   #214
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halair View Post
...Weight vs mms is approaching 1700:1
Excelent numbers re below imagine when haraldo gets by for audition there's big chance TC9 get a Pink Floyd ready stamp, in past we heard Roger Water tracks on wesayso's system and what a pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haraldo View Post
I unfortunately did not yet audition any speakers with the tc9, but many times... over and over gain with the tg9, and there is only one thing to say, they take my breath away...

Once I was listening to Pink Floyd, the wall, and I would swear it had to be another mastering because of the detail, the dynamics, the realism, the sheer incredible attack and lveliness of the voices.... ot was same mastering, insane
Old 4th December 2019, 08:21 AM   #215
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRTT View Post
re below imagine when haraldo gets by for audition there's big chance TC9 get a Pink Floyd ready stamp, in past we heard Roger Water tracks on wesayso's system and what a pleasure.
I doubt I will be able to take this up to Ronalds level of perfection considering all his efforts over the past years with his towers

But I'm sure I'll have plenty of fun with mine
So far its been mainly hard labour

Regarding voids, due to the cramped volume the EG is forming into there is no chance of consealed voids, like bubbles trapped inside the matrix.
On cabinet #1 there vere two voids towards the cabinet, where a small area didnt have EG at all - but these were easily remedied after the liners were removed.

Last edited by Halair; 4th December 2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 4th December 2019, 08:33 AM   #216
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRTT View Post
... that said imagine there will be plenty of resonances down the road when feeded some track materials ...
Its impossible for a system not to get aggitated to a certain level, hopefully the obstructive ones are attenuated well within my system. There will be resonances, and most of them will travel out through the driver.

I have started with less stuffing compared to my mk1's and I hope to find a little time to finalize that aspect before finishing up line #2. So far I have been focused on the casting which was a tedious process. If I ever is to do this again it will be simplified
Old 4th December 2019, 09:56 PM   #217
diyAudio Member

If it can help for stuffing process find a zma file hang on below into a zip folder, its the curve of wesayso's build and think it can be used as kind of good refference or textbook overlay : ) its the blue curve in below Xsim overlay and the grey curve is one of my own TC9 curve into free air. Admit i haven't asked wesayso permission to share file but in the visuals is shared over in towers thread anyone can do the tracing act : )...

HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)-h_2-png
Attached Images
File Type: png H_2.png (11.8 KB, 39 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip TC9x25_wesayso.zip (5.1 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by BYRTT; 4th December 2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 4th December 2019, 11:56 PM   #218
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Shame on you!
Just kidding... observe the fine wiggles in impedance tests. Stuffing should get rid of those. Leave some free room behind the driver(s). I bet your results can be great with denser stuffing the further you get from the driver. If you use fiberglass stuffing it might make sense to have another material between it and the driver. I used (real sheep) wool felt for that.
Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM   #219
diyAudio Member

1kg of washed sheep wool ordered
Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM   #220
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesayso View Post
Just kidding... observe the fine wiggles in impedance tests. Stuffing should get rid of those. Leave some free room behind the driver(s).
The first tower is lined with 8mm felt all-around and 10g of Knauf Glass Mineral Wool for each chamber. It occupy roughly 1/3 of the chamber volume.

Preliminary impedance tests in the test chamber showed promise, but compared to my mk1 its only 50% of what I used there

Using two different medias for stuffing will most likely be more efficient and overstuffing the test cabinet with Knauf made the curve drag and a shelf to the left. (measurements are crude and not with a calibrated circuit as the resistor value for REW is not within spec)

I havent measured the first tower yet but want to do individual driver / full line plots when time allows it.
As I use two individual groups of 12 per line I also need to pay attention to make sure they are similar in behaviour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Impedance_diff2.jpg (65.0 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Halair; Yesterday at 08:09 AM.

HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)Hide this!Advertise here!