Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)
HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)
HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08) Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2019, 03:01 AM   #201
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haraldo View Post
Yes, because human can hear info above 20 Khz .....
Play a 21 Khz tone and you will NOT hear it
Play a 24 Khz tone and you will NOT hear it
Play the 21 Khz tone and at same time the 24 Khz tone and you will hear a 3 Khz subharmonic, this is demonstrable that our ear is sensitive to information above 20 Khz.

I suggest these are things you hear when you are at a classic concert, if you cut this info sharp away in a filter or by speakers that cannot reproduce the information, we lose out on information that is important to the total experience.
I posted the link to other thread because i am not the only one who has the experience with fullrange + tweeter = improved bass...hence the link.
I am not going the discuss supertweeters, that would be side stepping from the thread about line arrays. But most of the time people use supertweeter with just one cap. First order, even crossed very high, will bring wider dispertion of heights below crossover point (due to shallow slope), thus helping to improve beaming fullrange.
Old 30th November 2019, 03:06 AM   #202
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

Something like i did here...
Suitable Enclosure for TB W5 1611 SAF
Old 1st December 2019, 12:14 PM   #203
Halair is offline Halair  Norway
diyAudio Member

Minor update, cabinet #2 is now prepared to be filled with EG, work start this evening and I will cast in increments over a couple of days
Old 1st December 2019, 07:58 PM   #204
bradleypnw is offline bradleypnw
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, because human can hear info above 20 Khz .....
Play a 21 Khz tone and you will NOT hear it
Play a 24 Khz tone and you will NOT hear it
Play the 21 Khz tone and at same time the 24 Khz tone and you will hear a 3 Khz subharmonic, this is demonstrable that our ear is sensitive to information above 20 Khz.

I suggest these are things you hear when you are at a classic concert, if you cut this info sharp away in a filter or by speakers that cannot reproduce the information, we lose out on information that is important to the total experience.
Wouldn't the recording microphone pick up the 3Khz for you? In other words, you wouldn't need the 21/24Khz to reproduce the 3Khz result.
Old 1st December 2019, 09:45 PM   #205
haraldo is offline haraldo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleypnw View Post
Wouldn't the recording microphone pick up the 3Khz for you? In other words, you wouldn't need the 21/24Khz to reproduce the 3Khz result.
As far as I know, no .... this is a property of the auditory system of the human ear and how the ear interprets and transfer the signals, I have never tested this, but would like to do.... I do have tweeters that should make this testable

F. Alton Everest wrties about these things in master handbook of acoustics Alton writes as follows
The auditory system may sometimes play tricks on our perception of sound.

Plug one oscillator into the left channel and the other into the right channel and adjust both channels for an equal and comrortable volume lever at some midband frequency. Then tune the oscillator to 23 KHz and the other to 24 KHz without changing the level settings. With either oscillator alone, nothing is heard because the signal is outside the range of the ear. However, with both signals, if the tweeters are good enough, you may hear a distinct 1 KHz tone.

The 1 KHz is the difference between 23 and 24 KHz. The sum, 47 KHz is another sideband. Such sum and difference sidebands are generated whenever two pure tones are mixed in a nonlinear environment. The nonlinear environment in this case is the middle and inner ear. In addition to intermodulation products, the nonlinearity of the ear generates new harmonics that are not present in the sound falling onto the eardrum.

Last edited by haraldo; 1st December 2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 1st December 2019, 09:53 PM   #206
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I will try to look up these things.
Please do. Sounds like you mean "beating"
Old 1st December 2019, 10:17 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Please do. Sounds like you mean "beating"
I did look up and then changed the post ....
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:45 PM   #208
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halair View Post
Minor update, cabinet #2 is now prepared to be filled with EG, work start this evening and I will cast in increments over a couple of days
Glad to read there is steady progress. You'll get there.
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:06 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halair View Post
Very Interesting progress
Iím pretty sure there will be a big improvement to Mk I.
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:42 PM   #210
Halair is offline Halair  Norway
diyAudio Member

30kg worth of EG cast in place, now I need to get some sleep before work, so I can do the last 20kg or so.... Each 10kg require about 1h30min from mixing to compacted, a lot of small areas that need to be filled properly as the EG do not flow one mm by itself

If the last 15-20kg can be cast tomorrow I should be able to pull the liners on thursday/friday....

HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)Hide this!Advertise here!