HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Take a new set of measurements with just these filters in place and nothing else. This will form a baseline for DRC processing. I'll carry on with virtual testing for now to see what happens with a 2048 tap filter.

I'll be very interested in how you guys end up assessing what 2048 taps can do.

I've come to believe in a rule of thumb that says 500 tap works down to 500Hz.
And double the tap requirement for each octave decrease; halve it for each octave increase.
That's for 48kHz sampling. Of course, double all tap requirements if 96kHz.

Anyway, i'm thinking the 2x4HD's FIR is good to around 125Hz (assuming it runs at 48k).
Looking forward to findings, and how they compare to me thumb rule:)

I hope you don't mind me posting this here but it's hard to pm images.

In your newest measurement taken at 90 degrees there is a massive spike at around 6.3 to 6.4ms it is very consistent between channels, it is only 5dB below peak. This is weird because it wasn't in the other ones. For now I will continue with the first measurement until you can work out what is going on. Works out to be a distance of about 2.1m.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Second Peak.jpg
    Second Peak.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 346
Works out to be a distance of about 2.1m.

In terms of distance, the 6,3ms = about 210cm = 2x distance baffle/front wall.
Not sure why it show now vs earlier measurements, the front have not changed - only mic orientation and cal file.
But cal file should not affect impulse right?

Our maths agrees :)

Cal file only affects spl graphs so that shouldn't be causing it. Could be a glitch as it is so loud. Perhaps try again and see, due to the change in orientation I would look at the ceiling but the arrays normally take care of that.

I'll be very interested in how you guys end up assessing what 2048 taps can do.

The miniDSP 2x4HD can handle a total of 4096taps, arbitrarily split over the 4 outputs. Minimum taps per channel is 6, so I can use 2042 taps each for two channels. (@96khz?)

Fluid have generated some test filters, which load to the DSP but apparently severely attenuate the output signal. Reason unknown.
The graphical filter display do not show this attenuation.

Work in progress :)

Last edited:
Minimum taps per channel is 6, so I can use 2042 taps each for two channels. (@96khz?)
The filter won't run properly at 96K it needs to be at 48K. With the limited number of taps available the sampling frequency will need to be left at 48K.

Fluid have generated some test filters, which load to the DSP but apparently severely attenuate the output signal. Reason unknown.
The graphical filter display do not show this attenuation.

Work in progress :)
The reason is because the filter is not normalised. Jriver's convolution normalises on the fly, MiniDSP must not be able to. The solution is to normalise the filters volume.

If you have Audacity you can do it yourself. Change the extension on the .bin file to .pcm and import the audio to Audacity, double click the waveform view to select all (you won't see much because the volume is low) then normalise. Export the audio as a raw file 32 bit float, (header-raw headerless / encoding-32bit float)

Change the extension back to .bin and make sure you turn the volume down because it will probably be quite a lot louder 45dB+.

If that sounds too hard I'll do it for you when I get home ;)

Most of the last paragraph above is probably wrong as the volume of the filter was quite high when I checked it, now I'm thinking sample rate.

I thought that the 2x4HD could be set to 48 or 96KHz like most of the older units could. I think I may have been wrong and it can only run at 96KHz because of the plugin it is using.

If that's the case all the files I sent were set for 48k. These won't work at 96K and could be the cause of the low volume. Seems the preEQ biquads are OK as REW knew they needed to be at 96K :rolleyes:

I'll make some new files at 96k, but it will involve a bit of sample rate converting and it will effectively halve the tap count.

Seems ridiculous to me that MiniDSP would not give you option to set a lower sample rate with such a tap limited device :mad:

Last edited:
attachment.php

Due to the need for a 96k filter the tap count has effectively gone down to 1020 when compared to a 2040 filter at 48K. This is the difference in the filters. The filters start to diverge at about 1.5K. Still a fairly close representation and workable.

Attachments

• Filter sample rate compare.jpg
    Filter sample rate compare.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 264
I did get new ones for the 2x20 array, later decided to start 2x24 and was short again :rolleyes: So I have 56 new ones now, and the rest are spoken for :D

I wouldnt mind making an mk3, but construction/estetique would be different.
However I would need to sell mk2 in order to fund an mk3.
Anyways, much too soon as mk2 isnt finished yet :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.