HalAir Aeralis - Fullrange Line Array (Vifa TC9-18-08)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No more EpoxyGranite for #2, casting is finished :D
View from listening position while #2 is laying down while the rear chamber walls are curing... I am close now :hbeat:

Attachments

• 78775556_424478838440911_162694439209271296_n.jpg
    78775556_424478838440911_162694439209271296_n.jpg
    963.3 KB · Views: 185
Excelent numbers :) re below imagine when haraldo gets by for audition there's big chance TC9 get a Pink Floyd ready stamp, in past we heard Roger Water tracks on wesayso's system and what a pleasure.

I think I would like to take the trip down south in the new year and bring some favourite albums like Pink Floyd, The Wall; Kate Bush, Aerial; Tom Waits, Closing Time, Röyksopp, The inevitable end; and the masterpiece above all: Leftfield, Leftism :p

The Leftfield album is incredibly well mastered and is crazy on a well performing rig :D

I will bring the stamp with me, LOL :p

Last edited:
Look forward hear result for session haraldo, have a best journey when times come heading south :)...

About the Pink Floyd stamp remember to close your eyes in it can mean something for us human beings, LOL what i mean is the beautiful fibre glass white cones of TG9 verse the look of more ordinary black coated paper cones for TC9, see this link for a research about colours for audio sessions :p (Link: Article: Impact of Color on Perception of Loudness | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum).

If we omit looks/colours for a moment TC9 actual looks have a tiny bit better bandwidth covering than TG9, below is their phase extracted from manufacture datasheets.

attachment.php

Myself haven't any TG9 to compare but have the fibre glass cone in a 10F and in below impulse response measured onto same situation/baffle at a 192kHz rate TC9 show some little better bandwidth in faster rise and a bit narrower pulse width.

attachment.php

Attachments

• H_2.png
    H_2.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 267
  • H_1.png
    H_1.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 269
@Halair: interesting choice of music. all of it except Pink Floyd would have required me to upgrade to Amazon Music Unlimited but I was able to sample earlier pieces from the same artists. I would say if you want to test the percussive capabilities of your new arrays, you should play Kitaro's God of Thunder and to enjoy drums with imaging effects, Hok Man Yim's Poem of Thunder album. If neither of those make your cabinet walls shake, then nothing will!

@Brytt: your analysis confirms what one can see in the mfr's data sheet. The TG9 tapers off smoothly around 16 khz whereas the TC9 has a big peak there which if tamed can give extended response with less boost in that top half octave, probably a good thing.

Sorry for derail!

Guys, not sure what you are using but .... somehow I want all back to physical... using currently a Studer A727 CD player (they go second hand at not too bad pricing), somehow I just like the music more from that CD player than any streaming device .... From that CD player and a Benchmark DAC1 ... I just love it limitless :p

That Studer CD player is insane, Swiss engineering at it's best :D

Last edited:
I think that is justified. You have a lossless media and no doubt a high resolution DAC so naturally you feel you can hear the difference (even if you can't :) )

I prefer to play from my local library than a streaming service when I have the material. Not sure what bandwidth they provide but sure its not lossless. But my DAC is nothing special, just a balanced MiniDSP with that Japanese chip whose mfr's name I can't think of, not quite as good as a Sabre DAC but orders of magnitude more linear than my speakers.

But nevertheless I was just blown away by some Mozart on Amazon music.

...@Brytt: your analysis confirms what one can see in the mfr's data sheet. The TG9 tapers off smoothly around 16 khz whereas the TC9 has a big peak there which if tamed can give extended response with less boost in that top half octave, probably a good thing.

Think know what you mean Jack but also think its bit hard to really interpret real bandwidth looking selected on those mfr responses, think the phase domain levels up above 20kHz and point where curve fades out confirms better the actual bandwidth performance and also my own 192kHz IR rate comparo of TC9 verse 10F.

Sorry for derail!

Guys, not sure what you are using but .... somehow I want all back to physical... using currently a Studer A727 CD player (they go second hand at not too bad pricing), somehow I just like the music more from that CD player than any streaming device .... From that CD player and a Benchmark DAC1 ... I just love it limitless :p

That Studer CD player is insane, Swiss engineering at it's best :D

Thumb up those physical units, sounds be some top notch high performance and good looking gear :)...

Had gone digital myself for several years, well for looks it has no charm compared to if i dust off a Norwegian made Tandberg TD20A reel to reel tape recorder and watch that beatiful machine live while its play tracks, maybe Jriver media center player and bitperfect tracks captured with German Easy Audio Copy for my CD collection or other real HD tracks from over at HDtracks site looks borring , but down the road learning dial in Jriver to perform optimal i say i never had so high quality acoustic sound before and also as quality had gone up so had the analog feel in reproduction, myself cant go back to physical units again unless they build in some advanced DSP inside units because its that advanced DSP feature that get Jriver make wonder unite audio chain errors with the room errors so acoustic domain quality will improve.

How do you decide how much stuffing to use?

By measuring impedance by using REW.
These samples are from my test cabinet, I have yet to measure in the actual lines yet - or gone much in detail into the measurements. (Resistor reference is not valid/precise enough and will affect scale of graph)

Cabinet #1 have 8mm felt and 10g of rockwool per chamber but not measured yet to find the balance. All of my efforts recently have gone into making #2 ready :sleep:
I have sheep wool on order that I intend to use as light filling in front of the rockwool.

To be determined :)

Stamp or no stamp, any critical ears will be welcomed :)

Attachments

• Impedance_diff2-2.jpg
    Impedance_diff2-2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 203
Thumb up those physical units, sounds be some top notch high performance and good looking gear :)...

Had gone digital myself for several years, well for looks it has no charm compared to if i dust off a Norwegian made Tandberg TD20A reel to reel tape recorder and watch that beatiful machine live while its play tracks, maybe Jriver media center player and bitperfect tracks captured with German Easy Audio Copy for my CD collection or other real HD tracks from over at HDtracks site looks borring , but down the road learning dial in Jriver to perform optimal i say i never had so high quality acoustic sound before and also as quality had gone up so had the analog feel in reproduction, myself cant go back to physical units again unless they build in some advanced DSP inside units because its that advanced DSP feature that get Jriver make wonder unite audio chain errors with the room errors so acoustic domain quality will improve.

I'm with BYRTT here... JRiver has been able to make my dreams come true. The program is very flexible and offers almost unlimited ways to get what you want. It's up to the user to use that wisely though, know what you want from it! I could not go back to regular media.
I do have a huge library stored on the PC in lossless quality and don't use streaming media. Movies are stored on a Nas.

I used to play vinyl combined with CD's and enjoyed that very much. I'd put on a CD, track no XX and knew right away what I wanted to hear next, almost always a vinyl track would follow etc. and could keep myself busy like that for hours on end. After discovering digital storage in my car (of all places) I have become a spoiled brat by having a huge library at my fingertips. :)
I do miss my vinyl collection, the whole process of it (Stored in boxes in the attic, I could not let go of it). But after discovering the merits of DSP and really getting into that, I do not miss the quality of it. Like BYRTT said, get it right and it will sound "analog". Like 'live music' even. My room never did sound better.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...If we omit looks/colours for a moment TC9 actual looks have a tiny bit better bandwidth covering than TG9, below is their phase extracted from manufacture datasheets....

And then there is EQ... so I suppose there is a question about the inherent quality of the driver as FR can be adjusted.

- Distorsion
- Power handling
- dispersion

are hard to fix in Jriver...

//

I'm with BYRTT here... JRiver has been able to make my dreams come true. The program is very flexible and offers almost unlimited ways to get what you want. It's up to the user to use that wisely though, know what you want from it! I could not go back to regular media.
I do have a huge library stored on the PC in lossless quality and don't use streaming media. Movies are stored on a Nas.

I used to play vinyl combined with CD's and enjoyed that very much. I'd put on a CD, track no XX and knew right away what I wanted to hear next, almost always a vinyl track would follow etc. and could keep myself busy like that for hours on end. After discovering digital storage in my car (of all places) I have become a spoiled brat by having a huge library at my fingertips. :)
I do miss my vinyl collection, the whole process of it (Stored in boxes in the attic, I could not let go of it). But after discovering the merits of DSP and really getting into that, I do not miss the quality of it. Like BYRTT said, get it right and it will sound "analog". Like 'live music' even. My room never did sound better.

Is it not so that there are really many ways of doing exact that DSP, JRiver is not the only answer?

There is also minidsp with digital in and out so you can use your dac of choice, quite a few guys over here in Norway use Audiolense with what is said to be incredible results... Audiolense does digital crossovers, frequency correction and true time domain correction, I think there are also PEQs that you can control yourself.

The use cases of Audiolense is also with vinyl, you need a good adc then but there are some pro solutions out there I assume that does not break the bank...

Last edited:
Sure you can pick something other than JRiver. Not many fixed boxes will give you 65 K taps though. Nor be able to reroute anything at will (fun for experimenting like I often do).
Audiolense isn't that different from Acourate or DRC-FIR. The last one being my 'engine of choice'. JRiver has the option to run VST's, has a lot of basic tools like PEQ banks and a convolver and is just one big versatile solution.
The above is not a unique advantage of JRiver, it's the PC that makes it all possible. You don't loose the DAC option though, the signal is digital from disk up until the DAC, I run a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC myself. To play vinyl I'd need to use a good ADC input as well.

I like the open solution, I am in charge of everything. JRiver is just a versatile music player with lots of extras that I happen to like. I've reviewed a couple of others but found my solution in this program.

Last edited:
They are up :D

Didnt get to do anything on them Saturday as apparently there is a Christmas coming up soon (already..?) and the in-laws came over for dinner yesterday :goodbad:

Despite that, 2nd line is lined, stuffed and populated with drivers. All individual wiring is installed but they are not coupled yet.
Measured resistance to verify continuity and all 24 checked out okay.

Tonite the wife and kids will be out for a couple of hours so today is the day... :D

Attachments

• 79422267_2625542494192381_4791675878620790784_n (1).jpg
    79422267_2625542494192381_4791675878620790784_n (1).jpg
    671 KB · Views: 190
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.