Advice needed for a full range kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For my kitchen I built two pairs (yes, four speakers :)) of the Cyburg Needle Deluxe using the Tang Band 1320sif driver.
I like the sound very much.

Now my wife has given me the task to build a pair of speakers for the bedroom; these have to be a bit more compact looking (rather something on a stand than a floorstander).

Given a budget of $125 - $200 per speaker, what would be good, reasonably compact full range speaker designs to consider?
(I can build, but designing them myself is a few bridges too far)

So far I'm considering the "Pico Lino 3", and the Klang & Ton "Double four" which is actually the same 1320sif driver used in my Needles but assisted with a small woofer that takes care of ≤~350hz..
But I've also been reading up on Markaudio drivers and am quite interested in a build using those.
I'd love to get more suggestions or comments!

Last edited:
Pygmy,

Many options for your build.

Looked up the "Double Four" design - from a few build pics from another forum (link below) looks like woofer and wide-band (aka full-range) driver are sharing the same cabinet space?

Klang und Ton Double Four, Projekte der Nutzer / Nachbauten - HIFI-FORUM

If that is the case, there is a possibility of the woofer frequencies intermodulating the FR unit, which is not good.

Pico Lino 3 is a design with the Scanspeak 10F/8414 driver, which is reputed to be very good in the mid and upper frequencies. The measurements are also very good. However from what I have read, it will require bass augmentation also.

You have speaker stands or plan to put he speakers on a piece of bedroom furniture?

If thin compact floor-stander was allowed, I would have suggested try out the Tabaq. You already have the Needles and like them, probably you will like the Tabaq more. :)

A good number of Markaudio designs are there - a link to P10 cabinet plan repository below, and you will find more on the forum:

Frugal-phile | Box Library / Mark Audio

Regarding cabinet size, with MA 3"-4" drivers you should be able to get in same ball-park as the Pic Lino box. The bass produced by these designs might/might not be satisfactory depending on your music and taste. With slightly bigger boxes you can use the Alpair 10.x drivers which give more LF.

Another set of FR designs for multiple driver brands:

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Woden-BabyLabs-241018.pdf

xrk971 has some nice designs with the Vifa TC-9:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...sonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-16.html#post3722988

Viva la Vifa! Curvy Cabinet DCR with TC9FD

Last edited:
a 13 till 30L (depending on how much bass you want) ported box with a mark audio Alpair 10M gen 3 could do the job. I have build those and in my former appartment they are very good sounding as FR without assistance of a woofer or tweeter, and were enough to fill the living room (6x6x2.5m) with an amp of 10w (diy class ab transistor) that i was using then. I also used those bookshelfs with a marantz PM5004 (transistor class AB) wich was also very good, a Prima Luna Prologue 4 (best sounding combo) tube amp and with an Hypex plate amp (did not sound very good). Now i use a variation on it with the same driver as top in a 2 way waw system (but that is a big setup).

Planet 10 also has plans for that driver on one of his websites that should be good if you want something predesigned. the CGR-MarKen103p is maybe what you're after, and that site is full of tested plans (some free, some paying) for different fullrange drivers. Frugal-phile DIY Audio Community Site

Looked up the "Double Four" design - from a few build pics from another forum (link below) looks like woofer and wide-band (aka full-range) driver are sharing the same cabinet space?

Klang und Ton Double Four, Projekte der Nutzer / Nachbauten - HIFI-FORUM

If that is the case, there is a possibility of the woofer frequencies intermodulating the FR unit, which is not good

That's not the case, they are in separate volumes. (I happen to have the original build plans in the original magazine)

Thanks for your tips, Tabaq is a bit too big.
My quest continues :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.