WIBAQ (Betsy-K) & Singularities (Dayton PS220)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not by my maths you haven't. ;)

Note that if you have a high output impedance amplifier (e.g. most SET designs) the effective Qt will be higher. For example, say the amplifier has an output impedance of 2.5ohms, which is a fairly common / modest figure for a SET type design. In this case, the effective Qt of the Dayton will rise to 0.511 (and the mass corner frequency will also drop from 244.21Hz to 181.6Hz), and it's this value you should use when designing an enclosure for the driver.

Not necessarily; consider an 8" Fostex horn driver's specs driven with a typical SS amp's fractional output impedance [super high damping factor], i.e. Qts = Qts' for all intent: 2*40 Hz/0.2 Qts = 400 Hz.

In short, do the math rather than make sweeping assumptions if you want to get the most performance out of a given speaker alignment.

GM

Edit -GM beat me to it, but what he said. T/S parameters are valid from 0Hz up to whatever the mass-corner frequency might happen to be. As shown, that frequency varies depending on the driver and / or driver + amplifier output impedance or series R though so you can't generalise it to a fixed point on a piano (or any other) scale.

Last edited:
Are all those parameters concerned with the low end of a driver's FR because that's where a speaker can damage itself if pushed too hard in an incorrect enclosure?

No, it has nothing to do with that. Simple electrical filter analogy, which is what T/S parameters basically are, assume a given fixed set of conditions that quickly cease to be of relevance as frequency rises.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.