Is there any reason for me to hold onto my Fostex FE206E?

Full-range advocates will be out with pitchforks and torches now that I've suggested this, but...

What about sticking them in a couple of smallish sealed boxes, and EQing the result?

I'll be the first to admit that this method does have down-sides:
- Heroic EQ will be needed for such a low-Q driver
- They have almost no Xmax

However, you've still got a pair of 8" cones, which will produce a reasonable amount of low end in sealed boxes, especially in a smaller room.

So long as your expectations are sensible, I think this approach could work just fine.

Chris

Sorry Chris, but I do not agree :)

Ok, no pitchfork yet :D , but: i do have a pair of FE206e in very small boxes, i. e. their packaging :)
The reason is that I haven't been able to extract a satisfying sound out of them. I couldn't build a horn, and all other boxes I tried (sealed, ML TL, Open Baffles) yelded underwhelming results :(
But, maybe, just maybe, they could work in a sort of a big F.A.S.T or WAF or whatever the acronym was. Meaning that they could be placed in a small sealed boxes and work with 300-400 hz and above. Below that, Big and efficient woofers. Unless you biamp and power Fostexes with a 1.5 w SET...
But even then, maybe it's better to use some other (smaller) driver as fullrange. So...that's why my Fe206e are where they are...

The FE206En is a horn driver inasmuch as it's a short-gap [relatively] high efficiency unit designed for use with high output impedance amplifiers and assuming in most cases it will also be used with a back-loaded bass horn.

That doesn't mean you can't use them in an alternate way, which doesn't necessarily have to be massive, as GM notes / implies, and providing a degree of expectation management is in play if it's run solo.

Three options:

-Conventional vented variation; you can use the one on the data sheet for e.g. As-is, in anechoic conditions it's not a particularly pretty alignment, but with c. 7ohms - 8ohms of series R (sensitivity should still remain well above 90dB) it's much nicer, moving toward a flat / lightly damped approach. In practice, probably wouldn't need that much if near boundaries or a corner. Just make sure the power-resistor is suitably rated, or, better parallel a few up to improve heat-dissipation.

-Karlson BP variation. Should give higher power handling than conventional vented, albeit sometimes with a rougher response. YMMV on that.

-2-way. 206 in sealed box, with an 8in woofer in a vented enclosure under it. Which doesn't have to be large. Can use the same enclosure, just partition off the 206 to isolate it, acoustically speaking.

Is it just me or the Dallas II horns are relatively small floorstanders?

Depends what you call 'relatively small floorstanders'. Dallas II has a footprint of 316mm x 450mm and is 1219mm tall.

*edit:
Note that what is described on the diyaudioprojects page is not a DBR, it's just the standard 45 litre vented box tuned to 50Hz I mentioned above. The author appears to have mistaken the internal brace for a division into separate loading chambers (it provides nothing like enough CSA reduction to have a significant effect on the alignment, and Fostex themselves do not describe it as a DBR). With suitable series R or amplifier output impedance it will work OK, providing you don't expect it to handle large LF dynamic peaks.

Last edited:
I would probably call it "reasonably sized" floorstander, those tiny sized slim ones would be "inadequatly sized" or:" why not get some bookshelf speakers + subs instead" sized floorstanders.
But they do not seem particularly big to me.

I actually agree, those are way smaller than my speakers, and not really bigger than most floorstanders. The smallest floorstander that i know is the Pensil R70.3 with an Mark Audio CHR70.3 driver, and those are still 19x30x94cm wich is only slightly smaller than yours. Plans are found online (o.a. on the site of Planet 10).

Or make a bookshelf, wich could be only with an FR or in a multiway (waw or fast combo). I have made a 13L ported bookshelf with an Mark Audio Alpair 10M Gen 3 that sounds very good on his own and goes rather low (but the bass is not the most defined) without any eq.

waxx,

I did the volume on the Dallas II - external dimensions give me 173.3 liters; the Pensil R70.3 only 53.6 liters :D In room I think they will give a very different feeling of size.

hugz,

What sort or dimensions are more suitable for domestic bliss and what would most of the listening content be?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
hugz,

IIRC a Karlsonator 12 with FE206E will be more compact. Some discussion here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/239386-karlsonator-8.html#post3575714

Otherwise with a smaller cabinet it is likely you will need helper woofers for bass support.

You have a terrific memory, Zman! I totally forgot about this sim!

95dB at 2.83v with satisfying bass down to sub 60Hz is not too bad at all.

362594d1374949721-karlsonator-k8-fe206en-freq-1m-png

Reactions: 1 user
I had the fostex fe206e drivers in a open baffle tall and skinny. I had them about a foot from the back wall. I was using the first batch of anti-cables and got 30 feet for $30.00 bucks plus shipping.. ( I hope I remembered it right?). I had a Harman kardon 2 channel indegraded amp that cost me $500.00 bucks at the time. I had a pioneer cd player ( not cheap but we'll made). So they sounded amazing but no bass and everything else seemed.to gel together. True story my friends.wife asked.him.to get his guitar to take home.. He never brought his guitar it was the music playing. So I would keep.them and add a larger woofer to the bottom.end in a.open baffle. Well good luck. Jeff

Well, since offering smaller alignment suggestions, here's the pioneer's recommended reflex based on published specs:

Vas/1.44 = ~37.73 L net

vent tuned to Fs = 2" dia, x 2.7" long

Only handles ~2 W [add 3 dB for stereo] = > ~ 92.6 dB/m/35 Hz/2pi and ~96.6 dB/56.5 Hz Xmax limited, so can go a bit higher for transients if the power's available.

Simmed with an 8 ohm resistor or amp output impedance or combination of + standard 0.5 ohm wiring loss to get a max flat/2pi response. Recommend using a [cheap] ~25 ohm pot to dial in each separately, then replace with fixed total resistance measured off it.

GM

Attachments

• FE206E_classicBR.txt
    1 KB · Views: 49
  • Fostex FE206E classic BR.PNG
    Fostex FE206E classic BR.PNG
    57.6 KB · Views: 254
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Doc Bottlehead would suggest puttin gthem in a sealed box and then adding a woofer with a plate amp brought in below the natural sealed roll-off of the FE206e (i don’t have a sim handy but a good guess would likely be <10 litres and somewhere around 125 Hz).

But, before doing something like that sell the Dallas Iis whole and buy a better midTweeter (usually smaller).

dave