Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is there any reason for me to hold onto my Fostex FE206E?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2019, 10:52 AM   #11
pelanj is online now pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I thought it refers to this one: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Cdr6XND0m6U/hqdefault.jpg

It is smaller than most of my loudspeakers Anyway, I think there could be some reduction in size using the double bass reflex: Fostex FE206En in Double Bass-Reflex Speaker Enclosure
Old 7th August 2019, 10:53 AM   #12
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelanj View Post
Is it just me or the Dallas II horns are relatively small floorstanders?
Depends what you call 'relatively small floorstanders'. Dallas II has a footprint of 316mm x 450mm and is 1219mm tall.

*edit:
Note that what is described on the diyaudioprojects page is not a DBR, it's just the standard 45 litre vented box tuned to 50Hz I mentioned above. The author appears to have mistaken the internal brace for a division into separate loading chambers (it provides nothing like enough CSA reduction to have a significant effect on the alignment, and Fostex themselves do not describe it as a DBR). With suitable series R or amplifier output impedance it will work OK, providing you don't expect it to handle large LF dynamic peaks.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 7th August 2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 7th August 2019, 11:53 AM   #13
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

I would probably call it "reasonably sized" floorstander, those tiny sized slim ones would be "inadequatly sized" or:" why not get some bookshelf speakers + subs instead" sized floorstanders.
But they do not seem particularly big to me.
Old 7th August 2019, 12:36 PM   #14
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
I would probably call it "reasonably sized" floorstander, those tiny sized slim ones would be "inadequatly sized" or:" why not get some bookshelf speakers + subs instead" sized floorstanders.
But they do not seem particularly big to me.
I actually agree, those are way smaller than my speakers, and not really bigger than most floorstanders. The smallest floorstander that i know is the Pensil R70.3 with an Mark Audio CHR70.3 driver, and those are still 19x30x94cm wich is only slightly smaller than yours. Plans are found online (o.a. on the site of Planet 10).

Or make a bookshelf, wich could be only with an FR or in a multiway (waw or fast combo). I have made a 13L ported bookshelf with an Mark Audio Alpair 10M Gen 3 that sounds very good on his own and goes rather low (but the bass is not the most defined) without any eq.
Old 7th August 2019, 01:04 PM   #15
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

waxx,

I did the volume on the Dallas II - external dimensions give me 173.3 liters; the Pensil R70.3 only 53.6 liters In room I think they will give a very different feeling of size.

hugz,

What sort or dimensions are more suitable for domestic bliss and what would most of the listening content be?

Last edited by zman01; 7th August 2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 7th August 2019, 03:05 PM   #16
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
hugz,

IIRC a Karlsonator 12 with FE206E will be more compact. Some discussion here:

Karlsonator

Otherwise with a smaller cabinet it is likely you will need helper woofers for bass support.
You have a terrific memory, Zman! I totally forgot about this sim!

95dB at 2.83v with satisfying bass down to sub 60Hz is not too bad at all.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th August 2019, 04:40 PM   #17
Jeffrey 01 is offline Jeffrey 01  United States
diyAudio Member

I had the fostex fe206e drivers in a open baffle tall and skinny. I had them about a foot from the back wall. I was using the first batch of anti-cables and got 30 feet for $30.00 bucks plus shipping.. ( I hope I remembered it right?). I had a Harman kardon 2 channel indegraded amp that cost me $500.00 bucks at the time. I had a pioneer cd player ( not cheap but we'll made). So they sounded amazing but no bass and everything else seemed.to gel together. True story my friends.wife asked.him.to get his guitar to take home.. He never brought his guitar it was the music playing. So I would keep.them and add a larger woofer to the bottom.end in a.open baffle. Well good luck. Jeff
Old 7th August 2019, 09:21 PM   #18
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, since offering smaller alignment suggestions, here's the pioneer's recommended reflex based on published specs:

Vas/1.44 = ~37.73 L net

vent tuned to Fs = 2" dia, x 2.7" long

Only handles ~2 W [add 3 dB for stereo] = > ~ 92.6 dB/m/35 Hz/2pi and ~96.6 dB/56.5 Hz Xmax limited, so can go a bit higher for transients if the power's available.

Simmed with an 8 ohm resistor or amp output impedance or combination of + standard 0.5 ohm wiring loss to get a max flat/2pi response. Recommend using a [cheap] ~25 ohm pot to dial in each separately, then replace with fixed total resistance measured off it.

GM
Attached Images
File Type: png Fostex FE206E classic BR.PNG (57.6 KB, 74 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt FE206E_classicBR.txt (1.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 7th August 2019, 10:06 PM   #19
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Doc Bottlehead would suggest puttin gthem in a sealed box and then adding a woofer with a plate amp brought in below the natural sealed roll-off of the FE206e (i don’t have a sim handy but a good guess would likely be <10 litres and somewhere around 125 Hz).

But, before doing something like that sell the Dallas Iis whole and buy a better midTweeter (usually smaller).

dave
Old 8th August 2019, 06:10 PM   #20
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxx View Post
The smallest floorstander that i know is the Pensil R70.3 with an Mark Audio CHR70.3 driver, and those are still 19x30x94cm wich is only slightly smaller than yours.
... Mine?
Are you thinking about these?
Seas test setup with FU10RB H1600-04

That reminds me, got to get my mic out and measure them properly.

Is there any reason for me to hold onto my Fostex FE206E?Hide this!Advertise here!