How do speakers work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Because the voltage goes through a coil creating a magnetic field and it causes the cone to move because the magnet of the driver is a fixed reference.

It is worth pointing out that it is current that moves the cone. With a voltage amp (most of them) the complex impedance of the speaker acts a the “R” in the I/V conversion.

This brings up current amps (quite rare) that have their own set of advantage and disadvantages, but the big one is that the amp drives the speaker directly with no I/V conversion.

The subject is much deeper than this, and explored little so far.

dave

"what is it that makes the drivers move air?" >
The simple answer to this question is that the inside workings of the speaker / driver / transducer generate a force from magnetic interaction between a wire (voice coil - when a current passes you generate a magnetic field) and a permanent magnet (another magnetic field that is constant). If the wire is free to move it will move, and will make sound (audible vibration), in fact speakers are converters of electrical energy to acoustic energy; there are many optimizations to make them as hi-fi and efficient as possible, but the key work is "converter". Take a bicycle dynamo and hook it to a speaker (don't use anything expensive) and see for your self that the speaker will convert any electrical signal (it will have to by alternative current) into sound. I won't go into all the "how to get the right signal" to the speakers so they fool the ears, it's a long story.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.