modern version of church monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Someone please direct me to a driver/enclosure that would have a similar sound to this EV CM12-2. I sits in front of me on stage and I like the sound. If I'm reading the specs correctly is has a SPL of 97dB/W/M.

Attachments

• ev_cm12_2.png
    ev_cm12_2.png
    540.1 KB · Views: 241
It is a coax with a dome tweeter from what I see. I don't know of anyone major league who makes a monitor that way anymore!

There are coaxial monitors made but as far as I know they almost all use compression drivers. With the perhaps lone exception of the Martin Le100. But it is not cheap!

It is a coax with a dome tweeter from what I see. I don't know of anyone major league who makes a monitor that way anymore!

With good reason. Dome tweeters have very limited output. Compression drivers, by nature, can have bigger voice coils and more radiating area - more power handling and more efficiency = more output.

The current Martin LE100 has a compression driver.

Chris

Someone please direct me to a driver/enclosure that would have a similar sound to this EV CM12-2. I sits in front of me on stage and I like the sound. If I'm reading the specs correctly is has a SPL of 97dB/W/M.

That tweeter was used in lots of EV products. S100 & 200 "Entertainers" as well as most of the Sentry product line. I have several in one of my listening systems that I just cleaned-out, re-diaphragmed and ferrofluid and they now sound wonderful again. Any of the EVM or DL-series 12" woofers work great with them so it wouldn't be too difficult a project to build your own and mount the tweeter in the same way using a bridge (instead of finding the special co-ax type woofer.)

Couple questions.
1. Why are PA speakers bad for home hi-fi? If I like the sound I'm hearing on-stage, why wouldn't I like it at home?
2. If the B&C 12FCX76 has a FR from 47 to 18,000 Hz, why would I need a XO?

1 - They don't, necessarily. The frequency response of the EV monitor isn't what I'd call HiFi, though. PA components can work well for home HiFi.
2 - It's a coaxial. Two drivers in one.

Chris

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is my opinion. PA speakers are designed for efficiency and ruggedness. Sound quality is typically not refined sounding like good monitors or Hifi gear. There are exceptions of course. In general, PA sounds a bit harsh and gritty. Much of that can be blamed on compression drivers which don’t do well at lower frequencies where they have distortion and a spitting sound. They really should be operated at 2.5k and above but are called to go down to 1.5k or lower.

The coaxials from any pro audio company is just the drivers and they are capable of the range specified but need a XO to accomplish the integration or use active XO with DSP and multiple amps.

P-Audio's BM/"Blue Monster" series of coaxial woofer seemes to be have discontinued. A couple of years ago LoudspeakersPlus sold the cast frame 15" model with BM440 compression driver for $99.99.

They do have a 15CX for more mone money but still at $159.99 Its compression driver is listed as "large format" and speaker weighing 34lb with a stamped steel rather than cast frame. (I've dropped a P-A 10cx with cast frame, breaking the frame)

A generic value network would probably be "ok"

There's an "F" at the end of the seller's description - assume that means "ferrite" magnet
and why its so chunky compared to its neodymium cousin.

P-AUDIO-SN15-600CXF-2.jpg

P Audio SN15-600CXF Co-Ax Speaker

http://p-audio.co.uk/pdf/SN15_500CX.pdf

Last edited:
That EV monitor is a PRO level live sound speaker; you can clone the cabinet (small unobtrusive monitors don´t have much Bass anyway so it´s not THAT critical) but speaker must be on same league as the original one.
Remember to stuff it well with fiberglass or equivalent to avoid "boxy" sound given the small size.

"Full Range" speakers usually reach high frequencies by adding a "whizzer cone" which works surprisingly well considering the zero cost, but tend to be beamy ; the opposite of the wide dispersion touted in that EV brochure.

As said above, a real driver and horn *smashes* any whizzer cone any day of the week.

Adding 2 suitable real coaxial Pro speakers:

Celestion FTX1225 12" Coaxial Full-Range Professional Driver

B&C 12FCX76 12" Professional Coaxial Speaker 80 x 80 8 Ohm

both need extra crossovers which are not included, for the very good reason that many users biamp them so in that case they are not needed; of course you can pick and choose your own.

Just suggest it includes some driver protection, or you add a protection car lamp in series with it, "just in case".

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.