cab options for coral beta 10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so ive had the speakers running since yesterday and 1.8 q(ts) seems to be the lowest figure i can get from the driver,i also gave the surround a lite wipe of 50/50 ahcohol and water which did bring the figure down to about 1.3 but as it dried it the higher figure came back.

so with that in mind what should i do? give up? what effect is this going to have on the sound? what would be your next step?

Run it in at progressively higher safe/max excursion since ferrite magnets tend to only lose their 'edge' if heated to extreme temps [propane torch high], so the lower in frequency [I use 1 Hz] the better as the other chemicals I might use depending on type/condition could/would eat it up.

Re alcohol, might work if [re]applying as required while being flexed, especially if using industrial strength, but it's a drying agent, so long term maybe the wrong choice and why if they were mine I'd carefully test with Wintergreen and/or Vit. E skin oil, which will clean and lubricate some types of foam/sponge, lossy rubbers and dissolve others or at least use as a protective coating/lubricant after the alcohol 'rub' if proven safe.

GM

They're not like the B8s? Specs imply the same except bigger frame size: Coral Beta 8 Fullrange Loudspeaker Measurements Data and Information Full Range

If doped cloth like Altec, et al, then use fingernail polish remover [acetone with a little baby oil] and a cheap brush such as these or similar: 36 Pc 1/2 in. Horsehair Bristle Acid Shop Brushes

Need to be careful and only work the flex ribs as it will soften the surrounds mounting. Don't want to have to reinstall them, though sometimes better to just replace.

GM

Humm, that's for doped accordion cloth surrounds, [touched up my 'weeping' Altecs today/been super hot here] so is that half roll made with doped cloth? Looks like some sort of sponge rubber to me, which the acetone will likely dissolve if not immediately, then over time with no way AFAIK to neutralize it.

GM

thanks for the link :)
so today i quickly knock up a pair of frames to mount them in for measuring.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

but the metal screwed around with the measurements :(
so im now letting them run through some test tones to see if that loosens them up,fingers crossed.
i think the surrounds are made of cloth as you can see the weave and also they are not opaque .
the saga continues!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.