Inexpensive Computer speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My old Altec Lansing 2.1 desktop system .. Died. Now in need of a replacement.
IMO Retail computer speakers seem as either Junk or expensive fashion statements
Thinking of a 2.1 Lm 1875 based amp ~ 20 watts.
Parts are on order from Mouser.
Want a reasonable Cheapish driver preferably from Dayton or Peerless, as those have always been good $ vs performance units in the past.
Small is good as speakers have to fit my desk top. Likely 3" (?) as the size guess and High 80's db. Not a lot of power to waste in lm1875's
Not spending large on Computer drivers, as I already own V good speakers.. this is for beside my computer screen usage.
Ample on hand Dow Foam and Foam core.. for box experiments ;)
Have considered Exciters as an experiment.. worth the effort though ?

Suggestions please ?

Cannot think of a cheaper and easier build for desktop speakers than the mini Karlsonators. Many many happy owners of mini Karlsonators in either foam core or wood. They sound absolutely amazing for their size. I've built the 0.4x with Peerless TC9FD18 drivers and drive them (and a small diy sub) with a cheap TPA3116 2.1 amp. But I also heard Skylar's dual 3FE25-16 0.53x mini Karlsonators, which is even more amazing (powered by a Class A amp). Here is my build.

Thank you all .. your input is appreciated and useful.
Yess.. I'm being cheap.
Had previously narrowed choices to:
a) Peerless TC8FD05-04 3" ~ 11$
b) Peerless TC9FD18-08 3-1/2" ~ 12$
c) Dayton Audio DMA80-8 3" neodym ~16$

But buying Drivers 'unheard' is a risky path.
Anyone familiar with these rascals ?

Last edited:
You could have a look into X's threads about subjective shootouts between many small full range drivers out there.

In that list, the TC9.
And put them in the mini-ks and that's all the sound you will need.

There is a guy using them as small monitors for his music production nice endorsement, I should say.

@00764

Cabinets are 1/2 birch ply 4 X 4 X 6 inches inside dimensions covered with p-lam and maple veneer on the baffle.

Larry

Attachments

• IMG_2893.jpg
    IMG_2893.jpg
    618.3 KB · Views: 179
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.