Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mark Audio full range with sub
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2019, 02:49 PM   #11
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
I would think that, unless your system is set up for very nearfield listening, a 11 pluvia might be marginal in providing full dynamic range for HT. I may be wrong and admit to zero time with the 11 pluvia. I do have experience with the Alpair 10 drivers. Dynamic range was not their strength even when filtered around 200hz for a sub. It ended up being compromised with midrange cone breakup. This was not isolated to a single pair. Happened with both a sub and without a sub.
THe OP doesn't want to use it in HT setup, only for music on moderate level.

And i don't have that experience that you have. I listened to a lot of music on a lot of speakers, and the dynamics of the Alpair 10M are perfectly OK compared to other speakers, i actually found them very dynamic and fast reacting. Especially when paired with a sub with a crossover at arround 150a-200Hz. I use mine in a 8x6x2m room and only amp them with a 32w tube amp (for the sub and the alpairs) and never go beyond half open (wich is already very loud in my room).

If you want movietheater-levels in a big hall, they are certainly not fit, but for the average living/music room they are certainly loud and dynamic enough if you ask me, and that for music and HT.
Old 18th July 2019, 04:11 PM   #12
BrockLanders is offline BrockLanders  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Yes, HT punch in the gut and loud sound levels are not my areas of interest. I prefer movies I can enjoy with my TV's speakers and I prefer music that can be enjoyed at moderate volume levels, I just want to hear the widest sensibly possible frequency spectrum of the recording My livingroom where l play music is around 10x5 meters. Couch/listening position is 4 m from the speakers.

Last edited by BrockLanders; 18th July 2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 18th July 2019, 05:11 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockLanders View Post
Yes, HT punch in the gut and loud sound levels are not my areas of interest. I prefer movies I can enjoy with my TV's speakers and I prefer music that can be enjoyed at moderate volume levels, I just want to hear the widest sensibly possible frequency spectrum of the recording My livingroom where l play music is around 10x5 meters. Couch/listening position is 4 m from the speakers.
Then a setup like mine would work perfectly. You could use an other sub if you don't want the big ported boxes i have, as long as the efficiency is arround 89-90dB and the bandwith goes high enough (see below)

You could use also a crossover (active or passive, what you prefer) arround 150-200Hz. A first order keeps the signal mostly in phase and makes the transition smooth (wich i like the most) and my setup has speakers who go wide enought to handle that. You need to count that the woofer must be relative flat at least 3x the crossover frequency (in my case it's more like 7x) and the FR must have an FS of 1/4th of the crossover frequncy (FS of the Pluvia is +/- 38Hz so no 1st order cr lower than 160Hz) and then you are safe (i take broad measures for this). You could also go higher in order for your CR, or use a dsp. In any case measure your speakers and adjust to measurements, don't just use a textbook crossover or a generic one.

In my setup the efficiency measured in my garden is about 86dB (loss due to cr and boxes) and it's rather flat between 25 and 17K with a very slow slope at the top end. I'm not at home so i can't post the measurements now, but if i not forget it i'll do it later

For amps, your Onkyo will do it rather good, but a tube amp sounds better with this kind of speakers. I use a 32w Prima Luna Prologue 4 (stock EL-34 tubes in PP) for it mostly, but in the heat of the summer that amp gets too hot and i switch it for a 45w Marantz PM5004 (my spare amp), wich is still very good sounding. For tubes i would not use an amp less than 25w, for solid state not less than 40w (both in 8R).

And there are other ways also. This is just one way to do this... So read as much as you can about this.
Old 18th July 2019, 05:29 PM   #14
silverhairbp is offline silverhairbp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxx View Post
THe OP doesn't want to use it in HT setup, only for music on moderate level.

And i don't have that experience that you have. I listened to a lot of music on a lot of speakers, and the dynamics of the Alpair 10M are perfectly OK compared to other speakers, i actually found them very dynamic and fast reacting. Especially when paired with a sub with a crossover at arround 150a-200Hz. I use mine in a 8x6x2m room and only amp them with a 32w tube amp (for the sub and the alpairs) and never go beyond half open (wich is already very loud in my room).

If you want movietheater-levels in a big hall, they are certainly not fit, but for the average living/music room they are certainly loud and dynamic enough if you ask me, and that for music and HT.
The REAL question is whether those MA metal cones will hold up. I found that 300 - 400 hours into their life, the A10Ms worked OK. But as they began to age a bit, I assume that the cones started to fatigue and generate increasing amounts of breakup distortion. That is with a listening position 6 feet from the speakers listening to classical music. I don't have any kind of HT system (never have had one) and have generally moved on to large multi-way systems even though I don't come anywhere close to exercising their dynamic range potential. But I no longer have any doppler effects.
Old 18th July 2019, 06:38 PM   #15
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The Pluvia 11 should also work in this kind of setup i think as it's specs are very similar to the older Alpair 10M Gen3
P11 boxes are smaller, and can not go as low (i am ignoring horns & TLs where the box can dominate.

dave
Old 18th July 2019, 07:14 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
The REAL question is whether those MA metal cones will hold up. I found that 300 - 400 hours into their life, the A10Ms worked OK. But as they began to age a bit, I assume that the cones started to fatigue and generate increasing amounts of breakup distortion. That is with a listening position 6 feet from the speakers listening to classical music. I don't have any kind of HT system (never have had one) and have generally moved on to large multi-way systems even though I don't come anywhere close to exercising their dynamic range potential. But I no longer have any doppler effects.
Well, i had my first Alpair 10M Gen3 since four years, and listened roughly estimated +5000 hours on it and i have others that are a few months old and have maybe 300h on it, and i prefer the older ones. The newer ones are still a bit stiff i have the impression, not like when brand new, but still not the ease of moving air of the older ones... Both have been on tube and solid state amps, and both are in ported (but different) speakers and get used a lot.

Mark Audio full range with subHide this!Advertise here!