Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

T line \ bass reflex enclosure suggestions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2019, 08:40 PM   #31
krakatoa is offline krakatoa  Romania
diyAudio Member

The impedance story is more simple in the world of portable audio - you don't want anything larger than the minimal impedance (4 ohms) because your amplifier will only deliver half the power to an 8 ohm impedance... and with small amplifier and small drivers (=low sensitivity) that will mean very little sound coming out of your speakers. 8 ohm + 8 ohms in paralel will result in 4 ohm impedance, the alternative is 2+2 ohms in series to get to the same 4 ohm value but they don't make speakers with that kind of impedance.
What ever driver you might end up using try to choose the larger (Sd parameter), higher sensitivity (SPL parameter), 4 ohm impedance, neodymium magnet, high excursion design. A larger driver will go lower easier than a smaller one (considering same type of construction).
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:36 AM   #32
3rutu5 is offline 3rutu5  Australia
diyAudio Member

I guess this entire process is about having fun and learning some new and different things. So in saying that, I was thinking something a little out there, I have tried kerfing a few times which was fun and did something quite unique, repurposed a set of MTM towers into a massive sound bar and now, maybe a tune tube using wood cylinders

Yes it isn't going to be small and compact, but 13-14 rings of 30mm ecoply could be a tad different? Not sure how it would all got together yet, but I sure do like using some grid paper and a pen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190722_202405.jpg (638.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190722-203427.jpg (195.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 22nd July 2019, 07:16 PM   #33
krakatoa is offline krakatoa  Romania
diyAudio Member

There are other options out there for the wood cylinder: bamboo naturally grows like that, another would be cardboard tubes (basically layered paper with the thickness of at least 3 mm) impregnated with something, or making a tube from veneer (a home made plywood in the shape of a cylinder).
Old 22nd July 2019, 07:40 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

I was originally thinking of getting some 2-3mm ply and seeing if I could wrap a few layers around a piece of pvc....or kerfing a sheet, which could work as well. I was thinking the rings originally so I could use a different type of timber every 2nd or 3rd piece. Gives me something to think about on the train trip to work
Old 22nd July 2019, 07:42 PM   #35
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Why don’t you just use the PVC pipe and veneer it? They make very good boxes, particularily in the bass.

dave
Old 22nd July 2019, 07:47 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Do you think it would be worth while trying to incorporate a folded port similar to the NDay Ken at the ends? I was thinking of a way using off cuts from a hole saw and 6mm MDF. Then I could use it as a piece of character
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:44 PM   #37
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
a folded port similar to the NDay Ken
Anytime i put a vent fold in a miniOnken box it is because i need the length. They make the build harder and i avoid them.

dave
Old 24th July 2019, 07:51 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

This might be a dumb question, but having a lengthy folded port or even a singular length (ie pipe) can that volume be included in the overall volume of the enclosure?

Ie ... Need 0.1cuft, but immediate open space is 0.08 and equivalent volume of the port/s is 0.02cuft combining to achieve the modelled,. This is a made up volume for the purpose of the discussion

Last edited by 3rutu5; 24th July 2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 24th July 2019, 08:00 PM   #39
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

No. The volume of a vent is additional to the volume of the main enclosure body. Or to put it another way, the volume of a vent must be subtracted from the volume of an enclosure when calculating. So if you had, for example, a 10 litre nominal box volume, and the drive unit takes up 1/2 litre of space, and the vent another 1/2 litre of space, the effective enclosure volume is 9 litres.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 24th July 2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 24th July 2019, 08:25 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Ok, that's what I thought. For me the lines just start getting a bit blurred when you start thinking of rear loaded horns and T Lines which start off with a smaller enclosure/cavity to start and then provide the world's longest port

T line \ bass reflex enclosure suggestionsHide this!Advertise here!