Speakers for my Living room?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A couple of years ago I built up a pair of speakers for my home office/den
that are comprised of Mark Audio Alpair 7A Gen. 3 Drivers in a Classic Golden
Ratio Speaker Cabinets from Planet 10. Then added a pair of inexpensive
Sony subwoofers for the low end. it works good.

For my living room I'm planning to go with a tube amp (30-50 watt range)
for the mains and assume that I'll need to add some subwoofers for the low end.
The room is 16' x 24 foot with a vaulted/cathedral ceiling
(Note: the actual living room area of the room is 16 x 16).

Ideally the speakers would be free standing no taller than 4 feet and
no wider than about 2' on a side (18" on a side being even better).

So with all that being said I'm looking for some thoughts and
suggestions for some speakers I can build for my living room.

Thank you

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Just don’t use any of their recommended box designs… David Dicks has shown that he knows little about box design. Also beware of the drivers that produce no bass. I have only heard a half-dozen of their models and only the 10” ferrite had potential (but was very pricey for what it did).

If you liked the A7.3 then why not consider something like the A11ms in its Pensil (the depth of the Frugel-Horn XL might be too much)

dave

It looks like the Pensil or the Frugel-Horn XL would fit.

Another thought is that I saw a folder horn the was ported on
the top with the thought being it would bounce off the ceiling.
The one I saw was a bit tall at 6' so tipping over would be a concern.

Which one? Porting the air cavity of a horn is not a good idea. For instance, the big, factory recommended FE126 horn does this, and it ends up being a lot of work for next to no return An optimum 4 litre miniOnken goes almost as low (with better fidelity)

dave

I don't recall and did not save the link, sorry.

The Frugel-Horn does look interesting and would fit

in your opinion what would be the 'better' driver Fostex or Mark Audio
If used with a Frugel-Horn and a tube amp?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I prefer the Mark Audio drivers. With a largish PP amp as you are proposing, they would work well.

The amp plays a role in that it has an output impedance and that can affect the bass. With the FHs one can tune the bass to the driver, the room, the room placement, and your taste. The FHXL (except for the BIG Woden horns) extracts more from drivers such as the A11ms/A10.3/p or Fostex FF165wk as well as quite a few drivers (the listed ones are our gotos)

dave

I prefer the Mark Audio drivers. With a largish PP amp as you are proposing, they would work well.

The amp plays a role in that it has an output impedance and that can affect the bass. With the FHs one can tune the bass to the driver, the room, the room placement, and your taste. The FHXL (except for the BIG Woden horns) extracts more from drivers such as the A11ms/A10.3/p or Fostex FF165wk as well as quite a few drivers (the listed ones are our gotos)

dave

Thank you

Take a tape measure and ask SWMBO what the max size of cabinet is. Then work your way back from there. Some amazing things can be done, the larger the box size. Even with smaller drivers.

She was the one who asked if the shelf that is there now really needed
to stay and said that her piano could move to the other side of the wall.

So at this point the max size is mostly being dictated by depth with
2 feet being the max for astethics due to the placemen in the room.
The side of the speaker, faces the room entrance to far out will look odd.
And the room really cannot be flipped easily due to in wall wiring etc.

Just don’t use any of their recommended box designs… David Dicks has shown that he knows little about box design. Also beware of the drivers that produce no bass. I have only heard a half-dozen of their models and only the 10” ferrite had potential (but was very pricey for what it did).

If you liked the A7.3 then why not consider something like the A11ms in its Pensil (the depth of the Frugel-Horn XL might be too much)

dave

This looks perilously close to exercising a commercial interest as a moderator. Not a good look.

OK, let's have some facts.

1/ Dave did not design the pensils. I did. Dave very kindly drew the plans, which are available to DIYers for free.

2/ Dave did not design FHXL. I did, with input from him and Chris. As with the above, Dave drew the plans, which in this case are made available to DIYers for a small donation to this forum. Neither Dave, nor Chris, nor myself, see a penny of it. It was our way of giving something back to this place.

3/ Dave used to provide flat packs for FHXL & some other speakers. That ended almost a year ago when Chris retired as they no longer have access to the necessary CNC gear.

4/ Dave provides modified drivers of all types (including from Audio Nirvana); a subject which he has not even mentioned on this thread. As far as I am aware, he is currently taking a break from this, because he is still recovering from a second bout of open-heart surgery and operations on both his eyes. He is not a distributor or retailer for standard drive units of any manufacturer and buys the units he modifies from their normal retail outlets.

5/ Many of the the CSA boxes that I have seen (not all, but a good few) have by most objective standards poor alignments using the advertised AN driver data. This applies whether you take them as-is, or as far as possible factor in amplifier output impedance / series R in the circuit, and a reasonable range of room effects. As I recall, a number of the boxes on CSA actually existed before the AN brand did. So with my designer's hat on (speaking as somebody who works with units from all manufacturers, in single and multiway design), Dave's remarks are a reasonable objective critique of those enclosure designs based on the data / information that I've seen.

Last edited:
I was glad to see Dave respond to my thread since the last time I was
looking to build speakers he gave me a lot of good info and saved me
from making unwise choices and wasting my hard earned money.

In Dave's defense I never took it as swaying me to use his products
over those of another; Especially since he's not even selling them.
I took it as he was just helping me out yet again.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
4/ Dave provides modified drivers of all types (including from Audio Nirvana); a subject which he has not even mentioned on this thread.

A10 classic — even after treatment has HF ringing issues which make them very hard to listen to… worse than a stock FE166/206 (modded ones are a lot better)

AN10ClassicCeN-Blk-eRed.jpg

As far as I am aware, he is currently taking a break from this, because he is still recovering from a second bout of open-heart surgery and operations on both his eyes.

Nothing wrong with my heart, except an iunusually high enzyme often related to heart attacks. When in hospital they looked at my heart siz ways from Sunday (including an inside-out, upside down sonogram) and could find nothing wrong. The operation was to fix an aneurysm they skipped when they 1st saved my life.

I haven’t been doing drivers since befaore cataract surgery. Surgery successful, but i am not fully back to treating drivers (i do have a backlog i have to get at real soon).

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.