Fane Sovereign 12-250TC and a low power SET amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry but i'm not interesting for home use.
I want using this for testing amplifiers.

This is possibly a poor choice for testing amplifiers as it does not have a very flat frequency response and suffers from the usual things that single full range drivers tend to suffer from

of course it depends what kind of amplifiers you want to test

if they are SET amplifiers then you may want something like this otherwise I think you’re far better off with what I would call a “typical 2 or 3-way loudspeaker” if you want to test typical class AB solid state amplifiers

This is possibly a poor choice for testing amplifiers as it does not have a very flat frequency response and suffers from the usual things that single full range drivers tend to suffer from

of course it depends what kind of amplifiers you want to test

if they are SET amplifiers then you may want something like this otherwise I think you’re far better off with what I would call a “typical 2 or 3-way loudspeaker” if you want to test typical class AB solid state amplifiers
Thanks Gareth but now is a bit late.:mad:
I have buy a pair of those drivers.

Thanks Gareth but now is a bit late.:mad:
I have buy a pair of those drivers.

ha! well no worries, sometimes this is the best way of things, it may well turn out to be great and at the least it is the start of a journey which you should enjoy.

some additional thoughts:

Once the drivers are well run-in, use only one amplifier and get really familiar with the sound. Nothing worse than testing a dozen different perfumes at the same time.

It may yet prove to be beneficial to have some EQ, but put it back in a pre-amp, before a buffer which then drivers the signal to the amplifier. In this position the EQ is common to all amplifiers and does not interfere with the amplifier and does not interfere with the interface between the amplifier and the speaker. Why do I think EQ will be beneficial - because you can then remove doubt about the amplifier tests being too much dictated by the unique signature of the speaker at high frequencies, where rising response and other peaks may be emphasized by one amplifier or another and skew your amplifier testing.

thimios,

Pictures? And what you think of the sonics? The YouTube video has ppor pictures and the sound tells us nect to nothing.

dave
Yes i know, YouTube is for pictures only.
My question is.
I have a pair os Fane 12-250TC.
Can i use those in combination with a woofer?
One 8ohm woofer plus low pass filter+one Fane=one speaker.
Is it someone who tried this?

Yes i know, YouTube is for pictures only.
My question is.
I have a pair os Fane 12-250TC.
Can i use those in combination with a woofer?
One 8ohm woofer plus low pass filter+one Fane=one speaker.
Is it someone who tried this?

Yes you can. I know people who do that with an Faital Pro 18HS500 woofer in a 150L closed box for the woofer and a 100Lclosed box for the Fane, with an 2nd order CR at 200Hz. It sounds good in that combination. the FS is 34Hz in that combo, but against a wall, you got decent output untill 30Hz said the owner

A ported or other type of sub can also work, as long as it's about 100dB output, or you use a active CR with seperate amps (or plate amp)

but it's not what this topc was originally about. I started this tread to use the Fane standalone on low power and the full Frequency range in a closed box. Wich is what i will do.

Yes you can. I know people who do that with an Faital Pro 18HS500 woofer in a 150L closed box for the woofer and a 100Lclosed box for the Fane, with an 2nd order CR at 200Hz. It sounds good in that combination. the FS is 34Hz in that combo, but against a wall, you got decent output untill 30Hz said the owner

A ported or other type of sub can also work, as long as it's about 100dB output, or you use a active CR with seperate amps (or plate amp)

but it's not what this topc was originally about. I started this tread to use the Fane standalone on low power and the full Frequency range in a closed box. Wich is what i will do.
Thanks for answer but too expensive.
I'm looking for something more cheap. :)

If you are going to do a WAW why not choose a better (and usually much smaller) FR?

dave

I don't think this FR is bad at all, and certainly for the price they go for i don't know FR that are better.

But it's true that it will be hard to find a suitable subwoofer cheap for this Fane, it's a 98-100dB efficient (depending on who measured it) and subwoofers that can go that efficient (or at least not too far off) are expensive and big.

A mark audio Pluvia 7 (4" driver) and a scanspeak 26W-8534G00 (10" driver) are probally a good combo and the drivers are in europe all toghetter about 350€ for a stereo set. The disadvantage is that they are less efficient and need an amp of at least 15watt to drive that combo, more perfect would be double that wattage. The Fane has probally enough with 1 or 2 watt. But if that is no issue for you, this smaller less efficient FR setup is better and easier to build.

I made a similar setup with the Mark Audio Alpair 10M (6") and that Scanspeak sub (ported box tuned to 25Hz) and it's a very good setup. I use a passive 1st order serial crossover at 180Hz with bsc and a zorbel on the woofer and was busy with reworking the tops (but had to stop due to illness). But even in this far from ideal setup now it's better than most speakers i've heared (and i've heared a lot of speakers). I'll finish the new tops later this summer. I don't have photos or specific info at hand (i'm on holiday) but if you search my past posts you can find them...

If you are going to do a WAW why not choose a better (and usually much smaller) FR?
dave
Because now i have pay for the Fane:)

I don't think this FR is bad at all, and certainly for the price they go for i don't know FR that are better.

But it's true that it will be hard to find a suitable subwoofer cheap for this Fane, it's a 98-100dB efficient (depending on who measured it) and subwoofers that can go that efficient (or at least not too far off) are expensive and big.

Thanks but now i must<< live>> with the Fane. ;)
How i can take the lower frequency that is possible.
How big recommend the box?
Is it an Onken cabinet suitable?
Thank you all for help.

Last edited:
Because now i have pay for the Fane:)

Thanks but now i must<< live>> with the Fane. ;)
How i can take the lower frequency that is possible.
How big recommend the box?
Is it an Onken cabinet suitable?
Thank you all for help.

a 250L ported enclosure (or bigger) can get you to to the low 30's says this quick simulation with factory specs, but only if you keep the wattage low (>10w) otherwise it gets in overexcursion as the xmax is only 4mm. The lower you tune your box, the lower the wattage has to be to avoid over excursion. But with a 100dB/1w/1m speaker you only need a few watt to be very loud in your room. WinISD (the freeware soft used here) can give you an id how low and so...

Attachments

• quck sim.PNG
    quck sim.PNG
    77.4 KB · Views: 359
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.