Fane Sovereign 12-250TC and a low power SET amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While sort of true (where do you choose the point of not going further). This same soert of argument applies to all sealed boxes. It is worth noting that the few Hz mentioned is near a half-octave of bass and how the speaker rolls off really has an effect on how the bass rolls off in the room.

The pioneers determined it was Vas/1.44 regardless of sealed or vented Qt, so most will be [highly] under damped.

GM

Ok guys, now i'm fully confused. :confused:
I will expect that someone will provide a suitable enclosure. :)

There are no suitable enclosures. There are however, practical enclosures that will work with this driver, and that’s what my 80L ‘golden ratio’ box is. It sounds great and has very little coloration.

The whole thing has been carefully developed over a long period and plays music beautifully. If you want an audiophile speaker, you’ve chosen completely the wrong driver. If you want something that makes music, then the Fane driver does it like few others.

Connected to a low power SET amp, it is outstanding.

There are no suitable enclosures. There are however, practical enclosures that will work with this driver, and that’s what my 80L ‘golden ratio’ box is. It sounds great and has very little coloration.

The whole thing has been carefully developed over a long period and plays music beautifully. If you want an audiophile speaker, you’ve chosen completely the wrong driver. If you want something that makes music, then the Fane driver does it like few others.

Connected to a low power SET amp, it is outstanding.
Thanks, can you post the full details of your enclosure?

...and providing you're a long way off axis, since for me, sans filters, these Fanes are painful anywhere within 20 degrees off in a home audio setting. Granted, my hearing is still good for 17KHz + (although since I'm hitting 41 in a couple of months, I wouldn't like to bet how much longer that's going to last... :eek: ). I should stress that is not a criticism of the driver; it's exactly the response they were designed to have, and what is required from a moderately large HE wideband driver intended for pro-audio use in a large space.

Last edited:
Ok guys, now i'm fully confused. :confused:
I will expect that someone will provide a suitable enclosure. :)

Hmm, 'suitable' = "right or appropriate for a particular person, purpose, or situation".

A T/S max flat or the pioneer's sealed or vented alignment [make vented and use a plug for sealed] are suitable for a particular purpose, such as your amp testing and necessary construction details have been posted, so to my way of thinking you're good to go.

GM

Hmm, 'suitable' = "right or appropriate for a particular person, purpose, or situation".

A T/S max flat or the pioneer's sealed or vented alignment [make vented and use a plug for sealed] are suitable for a particular purpose, such as your amp testing and necessary construction details have been posted, so to my way of thinking you're good to go.

GM

Thanks, details please! :)

Like someone else said b4.

3ft3 sealed using golden ratios, maybe 3lbs accoustuff to absorb some back wave.

It is a floppy qts driver, don't worry about non ideal .707 sealed or 4th order ported.

I suppose 6ft3 ported tuned 50hz, never ran anything like that though.

Excursion will be your enemy, not as much a problem for movies, but it is for music unless you like bass making voices warble. It all depends on music type and volume level.

Being on the full range forum, you may be sensitive to time alignment.
Problem with crossing it over 50-150hz, you will hear bass guitar and drum runs sound "wrong"

If you use it as a center channel, get it near the top of the box, as close to the bottom of the tv as possible.

What was surprising was that at as loud as it would go, music sounded good.
I believe the narrowing dispersion limited the highs from overloading the room at high volumes (splashing everywhere).

So the room went louder before it turned to noisy hash (when the acoustic level overloads the room).

More direct and less reflected energy, similar to how narrow dispersion speakers can image better (less wall reflections).

Just my theory.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
These are my soon to be finished boxes for the Fanes. Ca 90 l (ext. dim. ca 95 x 40 x 40/27 cm trapezoid) repurposed line array boxes, I need to cut new fronts and backs. I did just some basic sanding, filling and painting, the main purpose will be a "garden PA" with FH1 style subs biamped, but during the winter, they will be connected to my EL84 or FU32 SE amp as a backup to the main speakers while upgrading and tuning.

Attachments

• C20A061D-1C8D-46B3-8AA1-C7ACDA33C92B.jpg
    C20A061D-1C8D-46B3-8AA1-C7ACDA33C92B.jpg
    995.2 KB · Views: 527
Thanks, details please! :)

You're welcome!

Hmm, thought I posted it already; must be on one of the other Fane threads. Anyway, don't do drawings, just post Hornresp sims with all the data and for sealed, Dave p10 has already posted the classic vented or sealed cab is ~ 54 L for this driver:

45.72 cm Width [baffle], 20.685 cm Depth, 57.258 cm High

driver offset from top: 24.05 cm

vent offset from top [if used]: 48.555 cm

vent: 5" dia [12.7 cm] x 18.2 cm

All dims i.d. [inside] and approximate. Damp to 'taste'.

GM

Attachments

• 12-250TC_OD_CLBR.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 126
I made a drawing a while back also based on Steve’s given dimensions. Here it is if anyone has a use for it. It was made a while back so best double check with Steve’s dimensions (I think he gave them in the game 12-250tc thread).

Attachments

• 67BDDD00-17EB-4300-B9D5-9FD474DB8102.png
    67BDDD00-17EB-4300-B9D5-9FD474DB8102.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 437
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.