Is Voxativ the right FR for Rock/Metal music?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys, I’m considering to upgrade the Fostex 206n drivers in my RD Acoustics Euphorias speakers. I was suggested to try Voxativ Ac-1.6 or 1.8 with wooden membrane.
Considering the high price of these drivers... I would like to have a feedback from people that already tried/listened to them.
Are the Voxativ suitable also for rock/metal music or should I look somewhere else? I listen every kind of music/genres and I slightly prefer a bit of smoother/beefier sound.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I enjoy metal/rock with Hedlund Horns equipped with Lowther DX2 (the newer rolled whizzer version). In my room they sound balanced and with a tube amp, they just disappear. I was told by the RC Acoustics guys that Sonido SFR200 sounds a bit harder than the Fostex - if that is what you are after. I yet have to put them in a proper box, now they are just on open baffle used from 300 Hz up. Compared to the Lowthers, they sound laid back, softer, more relaxed. I have no comparison to the Fostex other than hearing them for 30 seconds at the High End show - where no metal can be heard as you surely know:)

I can really recommend the Fane 12-250TC loudspeaker. I think it is unbeatable as a high quality garage/workshop loudspeaker with some minor tweaks (mine are still stock).

The Voxativ speakers are kind of expensive, but they look really nice. Some are also happy with the AER, which should be "improved" Lowther. Pricing still out of my league, though. I became a Lowther fan first time I heard the ones I have now.

as a side-step to the upgrade, I'd guess two 12-TC250 per side on an open baffle could be pretty cheerful. (full hornlaoded systems ala' Klipsch are ok with stuff like AC/DC and figure the University Classic horn would be better than La Scala - I'mnot familiar with "metal")

As I said my speakers are RD Acoustics Euphorias... I can implement only 8" full range drivers.
The point is that Fostex drivers are shouting too much on trebles and way too analytical for heavy music.
That's why I'm looking for something smoother and more full body/rich sound.

I will have a look at Sonido... any other ideas? No one tried Voxativ? Are they too bright?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
When I get back home next week, I can post some measurements (in room) for the Sonido SFR200A - the main difference between these Sonidos and the typical FR speakers is that SFRs are almost flat on axis and they are missing the usual HF rise that Lowthers (and the mentioned Fanes) have (confirmed also by my own measurement).

The Fostex 206en exhibits this rise, too, so if you consider them too "analytical", then the Sonidos should do the trick to bring in a more balanced sound. I can lend you my pair of Sonidos if you would like to try it, according to RDAcoustic, they are just burned in. They are not for sale, it will just take some time before I decide which box to build for them.

Hello guys, I’m considering to upgrade the Fostex 206n drivers in my RD Acoustics Euphorias speakers. I was suggested to try Voxativ Ac-1.6 or 1.8 with wooden membrane.
Considering the high price of these drivers... I would like to have a feedback from people that already tried/listened to them.
Are the Voxativ suitable also for rock/metal music or should I look somewhere else? I listen every kind of music/genres and I slightly prefer a bit of smoother/beefier sound.

Have you considered whether the electro-mechanical spec. of whatever replacement driver you are considering is actually appropriate for your enclosures? Thing about loudspeakers is, you can't just ram a driver of the same external diameter into a box & assume it will load it properly, or as designed. It doesn't work that way. The dominant factors for LF loading are Fs, Vas and effective Q (Qt + amplifier output impedance and / or any series R in the circuit). If you significantly change those (and the Voxativ units, as I recall, have a Q about double that of the Fostex) you will alter the load behaviour & alignment.

That aside, generalising to the query 'Is Voxativ the right FR for Rock/Metal music?', then the answer is 'no', because as others here have alluded to, unsupported wideband drive units are not ideal for this sort of material. The Voxativ units are probably better at it than some other 8in whizzer cone units, providing the enclosure is suitable. Maybe the Sonidos also.

2 reasons why.

Not many Voxativ users around here.

Plus, they can't tell you how they will sound because they have their drivers in an enclosure that was designed for that driver, not just dropped into some kind of box hoping it might work.
Actually the manufacturer of my speakers recommends Voxativ, so i know that the enclosure has been tested/tried with those drivers. I just wanted more feedbacks about Rock/Metal... assuming the other genres play perfectly, considering the high price.

Miracle1980,

Have you considered another pair of speakers for rock/metal? A decent pair of speakers can be probably built within the same budget (or less) vs what you would need to spend for upgrading to Voxativ drivers.

However, you might have different preferences or limitations e.g. amplifiers, listening space, room aesthetics/domestic setting where you want to have one pair of speakers only etc.

'Sounds' like your only viable options are whatever RD Acoustics recommend and of the two Voxativ drivers, the 1.6 is the better choice based on its minimal specs.

That, or what I'd do, either listen way off axis and/or add a RLC filter to tilt down the 206's rising response, which in turn lowers perceived sharpness, sibilance, excessive 'detail'. Adding the $0.98 Lowther tweak will help with 'shout' also: Modifications

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.