Is Voxativ the right FR for Rock/Metal music?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will provide intensive feedback later, after 1-2 weeks, but the first listening hour of Voxativ drivers inside my RD Acoustics Euphorias speakers put a big smile on my face.

I don’t want to go into details because the drivers need to burn-in a bit and I also could not play too loud because of night time...but I can already confirm that the Fostex 206en are “toys” in comparison. I didn’t expect such a difference...considering that the enclosure remained the same...

No users that have Voxativ drivers and provide more feedbacks?
I also noticed that the frequency response for all their drivers is 20-20khz...how is it possible? No difference between all these drivers?
I listened to a system consisting of Voxativ Ampeggio with Voxativ T211 SET integrated amplifier. Ampeggio driver has a paper membrane and a metal phase plug in the center, I don't know which model it is. The sound quality? Excellent midrange, presence range a little bit strong, and no low bass because of horn enclosure. All in all, the best 8-inch (or 7") fullrange I have ever heard! But the price is out of this world.

20 Hz - 20 kHz frequency response? No way!

Last edited:
I will provide intensive feedback later, after 1-2 weeks, but the first listening hour of Voxativ drivers inside my RD Acoustics Euphorias speakers put a big smile on my face.

I don’t want to go into details because the drivers need to burn-in a bit and I also could not play too loud because of night time...but I can already confirm that the Fostex 206en are “toys” in comparison. I didn’t expect such a difference...considering that the enclosure remained the same...

Why not get top of the line lowthers? PM2a or PM4a. After hearing these compared to other $200 full range drivers there is no comparison. The lowthers are 96 db and can handle 100 watts. Anything with vocals is really good. Just add a sub for rock and your good to go! YouTube

Here's a more comprehensive demo of other lowthers. YouTube

Last edited:
After 10 days of intense listening with the Voxativ AC 1.8a (wooden membrane) i can definitely say that i'm very happy with the upgrade. The difference between Voxativ and Fostex is huge...almost day and night. Voxativ is smoother, more opened, more details, very very natural presentation, no shout or emphasis in the frequency range.
It was too long i was not so involved, even physically, while listening music...the Voxative sound is addictive.
I tried many different genres of music, except classical, and the reproduction was sublime.
I also agree that for Rock/Metal (specially modern production) you would need a sub or woofer (my Euphorias have a 15" one, working only from around 350hz and lower) but the final result is amazing!
I know that the price of these driver is very high but, if you have possibility to try/test in your system, I strongly suggest to do it. It is a revealing product.

Interesting...maybe add a subwoofer and we'll know if it can rock. I just checked your other videos. Can you give us a frequency curve etc. How does your driver compare to a voxative and lowther?

it is in my facebook page

Gamut Magnetic Laboratories - GML Loudspeakers - Home | Facebook

the basic measurements are here, in the pictures attached

FA80 | Facebook

Audio is very subjective, so I don't really like to compare to Voxativ or Lowther, each has their own characteristics.

it is in my facebook page

Gamut Magnetic Laboratories - GML Loudspeakers - Home | Facebook

the basic measurements are here, in the pictures attached

FA80 | Facebook

Audio is very subjective, so I don't really like to compare to Voxativ or Lowther, each has their own characteristics.

Your spl curve looks really wonky after 1600 hz to 20000hz. 5 db ups and downs doesn't look very good to me. have you tried modifying your interior tweater cone to get better performance? I'm not sure your driver can beat out a top of the line lowther which is $400 dollars less in the right enclosure.

Your spl curve looks really wonky after 1600 hz to 20000hz. 5 db ups and downs doesn't look very good to me. have you tried modifying your interior tweater cone to get better performance? I'm not sure your driver can beat out a top of the line lowther which is $400 dollars less in the right enclosure.

Have u seen Voxativ freq response?

And you think by looking at the freq response you are able to judge the sound quality? This means your experience with drivers are limited.

I have been to many realms of designing speaker when i started out this as a hobby 11 years ago. Measuring freq response, design multi-way to get a flat response. Build my own ribbon tweeter, wind my own transformer.

I even coil my own paper in oil Capacitors for my own crossover.

I did things the hardcore way.

And I can tell you from experience, flat response NEVER a representation of acoustic texture.

Who still use Nomex as VC former? Or even paper VC former? That why so many still love Old Altec woofer as their VC former is made of kraft paper.

And it is no surprise that paper or nomex VC former sound the best. But many modern driver replaced it with Mylar, Kapton, Alu. These material can never captivate the mid-range as good as Nomex or paper VC.

Most modern speaker even for most fullrange, produce the same feeling, lack of texture. The reason why I designed. my fullrange to have the VC former the same material as the cone with phenolic damper

I heard Philips fullrange, Axiom 80, Lowther(Square frame), Western Electric 755, Diatone, even Voxativ and AER... I had traveled to many places to listen to retro speakers, many of these drivers freq response looks very edgy, but their acoustic reproduction sound are sweet, nice and relax.... And I can never forget the 1st time I heard WE754 with a phenolic tweeter, I told myself that's what I want on my loudspeaker. Not relentless chase of perfect flat response. So screwed flat responses, it is just a guide line and nothing more. It will never represent the sound signature.

I took part and many Audio Show in my region and got to hear many types of High-end audio. Many modern speakers are just ultra clean ultra boring in acoustic reproduction department, untill u can hear every single micro details. For what? So many brands and speaker and do the same....

Time to go backwards and look at how things are done in the past.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.