Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is Voxativ the right FR for Rock/Metal music?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2019, 07:38 PM   #11
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'd recommend against "HiFi" "full-range" drivers for rock music, particularly if you like to crank it up.
So far, the best I've had in my room has been an 8" midbass and a 1" compression driver. Rage Against the Machine was an experience.

Chris
Old 8th July 2019, 09:26 PM   #12
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelanj View Post
The exact same points still apply, with the added question about whether the wildly different drive units (any) it is proposed to ram into the relevent enclosure will provide the correct high pass acoustical slope to effectively match up with the low-passed bass driver.
Old 14th July 2019, 11:55 PM   #13
Miracle1980 is offline Miracle1980  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

No users that have Voxativ drivers and provide more feedbacks?
I also noticed that the frequency response for all their drivers is 20-20khz...how is it possible? No difference between all these drivers?
Old 15th July 2019, 02:07 AM   #14
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

2 reasons why.

Not many Voxativ users around here.

Plus, they can't tell you how they will sound because they have their drivers in an enclosure that was designed for that driver, not just dropped into some kind of box hoping it might work.
Old 15th July 2019, 06:23 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
2 reasons why.

Not many Voxativ users around here.

Plus, they can't tell you how they will sound because they have their drivers in an enclosure that was designed for that driver, not just dropped into some kind of box hoping it might work.
Actually the manufacturer of my speakers recommends Voxativ, so i know that the enclosure has been tested/tried with those drivers. I just wanted more feedbacks about Rock/Metal... assuming the other genres play perfectly, considering the high price.
Old 15th July 2019, 06:43 AM   #16
Rewind is offline Rewind  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I always liked low efficiency speakers for metal music. Something muddy without too much detail. Try Bowers & Wilkins.
Old 15th July 2019, 07:01 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewind View Post
I always liked low efficiency speakers for metal music. Something muddy without too much detail. Try Bowers & Wilkins.
Thanks, but it's not the only genres i listen to... I mainly want speakers that are capable to play everything, rock/metal included.
Old 15th July 2019, 07:29 AM   #18
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Miracle1980,

Have you considered another pair of speakers for rock/metal? A decent pair of speakers can be probably built within the same budget (or less) vs what you would need to spend for upgrading to Voxativ drivers.

However, you might have different preferences or limitations e.g. amplifiers, listening space, room aesthetics/domestic setting where you want to have one pair of speakers only etc.
Old 15th July 2019, 07:37 AM   #19
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

'Sounds' like your only viable options are whatever RD Acoustics recommend and of the two Voxativ drivers, the 1.6 is the better choice based on its minimal specs.

That, or what I'd do, either listen way off axis and/or add a RLC filter to tilt down the 206's rising response, which in turn lowers perceived sharpness, sibilance, excessive 'detail'. Adding the $0.98 Lowther tweak will help with 'shout' also: Modifications

GM
Old 15th July 2019, 07:48 AM   #20
Rewind is offline Rewind  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I would just get the cleanest possible speaker. I used to like metal but not after getting better speakers. Then I could hear all the garbage in the mix and it was hardly worth listening to.

Is Voxativ the right FR for Rock/Metal music?Hide this!Advertise here!