Which one Mark Audio are Best

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Définie application, size of enclosure preferred, size of room, expectations at either low end reach or high frequencies spread, or both (ps. not going to happen)

And then be prepared to get all kinds of answers from all kinds of people, because everyone has their preferred driver, just like they have their preferred food.

Mine is squid, by the way. Cook it anyway you want, I love it.
That's about as relevant as possible. :)

I like squid too - but I bet you may have reservations about giant or colossal squid - they taste like ammonia I have heard. I love bacon. Cook it anyway you want to. :D

And somebody tried the 3 inch Faital Pro 3Fe25 ?

I think is a good driver , with cooper Faraday rings , unique frequency response , 2mm xmax ,etc

Santiago

Attachments

• 3FE25_response_4.gif
    3FE25_response_4.gif
    22.1 KB · Views: 459
Fern & Roby horn load an Alpair 7, and cross to a 12PW. Seems like its stretching the rules of physics.

I remember asking Mark if I could horn load his drivers, and he said why would you want to do that? To summarise his response...They can handle power, the dispersion is good, and they operate over a wide frequency range.

Fern & Roby horn load an Alpair 7, and cross to a 12PW.

They do? Where? I can see a 2-way which looks very similar to the 2-way I designed for DIYers which is not horn loaded, & I can't locate a horn loaded A7 crossed to a 12PW on their site. Do you have a link?

Seems like its stretching the rules of physics.

If it's my box then it's certainly doing no such thing, it's a perfectly straightforward vented load for the 12PW with the 7P in a sealed upper chamber. I can't see any extravagent / physics defying claims for it on their site either, although I've only had a very quick look. Do you have a link?

I remember asking Mark if I could horn load his drivers, and he said why would you want to do that?

Which to put it mildly confuses me, given that Mark knows perfectly well that my Woden Megalith range of back horns are specifically designed for Mark Audio drive units, that Frugel-horn Mk3 [FH3] was designed using the 4in Mark Audio models as the baseline drive units, Frugel-horn XL [FHXL] was designed using the 5in Mark Audio models as the baseline drive units, while the 3in Mark Audio drivers are a preferred option for Frugel-horn Lite (FH-lite), not counting dozens of other designs. Are you sure you've remembered correctly or not overgeneralising the word 'horn'? I can imagine he might say that about front horns, since the drivers are not well suited to such use, but Mark knows his drivers are used in back-loaded bass horns: we were at the North West Audio Show only a couple of weeks ago where the MA dealer room (KJF audio) was running the drivers exclusively in the three different frugel-horn variations. No other enclosure types present.

To summarise his response...They can handle power, the dispersion is good, and they operate over a wide frequency range.

All of which within the overall context is true, but has no connection to back-loaded bass horns. Perhaps some wider context was missed; it's easily done.

Last edited:
Ah, that would explain it; I thought I must be missing something (my apologies, nothing new about that... ;) ). Found an image & some notes from Stereophile; vented box 12PW with a 7P in a short mid-horn / waveguide. The compression ratio doesn't look especially high so unlikely to cause problems for the paper cone.

In practice, it should give an efficiency boost on the lower end of the mid-tweet, lowering distortion when EQ'd flat. Directivity = name your poison; I know Mark likes wide dispersion (hence the negative camber cone approach) which has its advantages; likewise the alternate waveguide / enhanced directivity has also. Depends what you like / need. Those 2-way towers on their site for e.g. do look like the design I did a while back, but it appears they're using a 10P for mid-tweet duties. Very pretty, what with that solid wood & the presumably brass plating. :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.