Markaudio Alpair Hybrid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice work! The measurement look very good and you are getting quite the bass extension. Must sound very nice.

The 4kHz dip is probably not a big deal as dips that are narrow are not noticeable - vs peaks which are. 4kHz corresponds to a 1/4 wave reflection from a feature that is 2.1cm from the driver cone. Perhaps it is the slight raised edge on the sides next to the drivers. Or it may be the width of the driver bezel as it is not rebated and flush. I like boiled linseed oil very much. Makes a great finish with a deep lustre. I sand with very fine grit paper when oil is wet. The small particles embed themselves into the grain crevices. Then when the oil cures, it makes a smooth surface with voids filled in. It can become smooth and mirror like even though wood started out full of grain.

I also did my Karlsonators with BLO, if you look at the reflection from the top panel you can see what I mean.

713424d1541340610-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-4455893f-5082-46e7-9351-4eea6477ffda-jpg

:cheers:

Last edited:
Hmm, now this is really interesting build! I also want to build something with dual 10.3's (I actually have 12 of them :D)

I've been looking at the Compact Mass Loaded Quarter-wave plans (is it basic bass reflex?) for it, but this hybrid caught my attention. They are pretty much the same size, and thats good.

But now I cannot decide which way to go? Of course the basic box is easier to build, but then again this hybrid design only has the back panel "tilted" inwards, kind of.

How about the sound? What are the benefits and drawbacks for these designs? At least the MLQW is suggested to use as a 1.5-way, but how about this hybrid? Use both as a full-range, or would it be better to use as a 1.5-way?

I already build a pair of tqwp with the 10.2
They sounded really great. They played down below 30hz. But not with ease but rather strained.
Hard to describe in english.
This hybrid design plays everything with ease.
Doesn't matter how loud. They can play very loud and undistorted.
In my high fidelity life I owned about 20 different speakers. Infinity kappa90 renaissance, quadral vulkan mk 5, t+a tb140, magnepan mg1.6, martin logans, apogee, adam audio, kef, tannoy. Just to name a few of them. These alpair hybrid design is definitely in the top leage.

Last edited:
The alpairs are not flush mount. They will be when I have the panel with the cloth fixed. This is 10mm with proper cut outs. Have to wait for the cloth to come.

I also thougt about doing 1.5 way.
I decided to hear the 1 way without any electronic part in the signal path first.
As there is no bafflestep compensation needed I decided to go without. So the drivers directly wired to the amp.

Felt on the top, back and one side of the box. Just below the lower driver. Holey brace also with one layer of 5mm (not aplied in the picture yet)

The final result, uncalibrated at listening position.

Attachments

• DSC_0329.jpg
    DSC_0329.jpg
    646.8 KB · Views: 364
  • DSC_0330.jpg
    DSC_0330.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 359
  • Screenshot_20190804-124418.png
    Screenshot_20190804-124418.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 373
Covering the front panels with cloth was easy doing.

First I attached a 10mm strip of double sided tape at the edges of the inner side of the panels. The corners were left out.
You can cover the panels with the cloth which will stick to the tape very well. It sticks just in a way that you can adjust the correct fit and tension easily. Then finally fixed the cloth with a staple gun. After that stretched the cloth around the corners an fixed with staples.
Perfect fit.

Attachments

• _20190813_100905.JPG
    _20190813_100905.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 176
  • _20190813_100349.JPG
    _20190813_100349.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 144
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I thougt member COGITECH build a pair of micro tower based on alpair 10.
But may be it was only his intention.

You are partially correct, sir. I commissioned Scott and Dave to design some mega towers based on dual Alpair 10.2 / 10P, however I never ended up building them. In fact, I ended up selling my pair of Alpair 10P because I was desperate for money at the time.

Very nice hybrid build in this thread, by the way. I love the apparent simplicity of the design and build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.