Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Full-range Driver for Transmission Line Cabinet - Recommendations?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2019, 03:06 AM   #1
contractsman is offline contractsman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Full-range Driver for Transmission Line Cabinet - Recommendations?

I'd like to install a full range driver into a Sony SS-TL1 Transmission line speaker cabinet (pictured below).
Any recommendations for a likely compatible 6 1/2 driver?

(This was a Goodwill find I couldn't resist for $30 {it's an Audio Karma sensibility}. I re-foamed the original cheap drivers and the sound is OK but unremarkable... except for the bass performance which is amazingly extended and deep... especially considering the cheap stamped basket mid-woofer, so now I MUST leverage the aesthetic and engineering of this REAL TL cabinet!

Cabinet Specifications:
*The overall cabinet size is 9 1/8" wide X 36 5/8" tall X 11 1/2" deep.
*Wall thickness is about 5/8"
* I guess this is considered a single-fold. The interior looks just like the illustration with a centered vertical wall inside running the full cabinet width and running parallel to the driver faces. (no angled corners or diagonal bias). See illustration below.

So any suggestions?
I could potentially experiment with more than one driver - especially if I purchase on eBay. Another source is PE of course. I really believe their Tang Band drivers offer great value and they have at least three options. (They have a great engineering / materials sciences story and the Asian production efficiencies).
Tang Band W6-2313 6-1/2" Coaxial Full-Range Woofer
Dayton Audio PS65LP-4 6-1/2" Ultra Efficient Low Profile Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm
Tang Band W6-2144 6-1/2" Paper Cone Full Range Driver 8 Ohm
The house brand, Dayton also seems like a good driver:
Dayton Audio PS180-8 6-1/2" Point Source Full-Range Neo Driver

OK. I read enough here about TL designs to realize I don't know WTF I'm doing... like this thread:
Need help designing my first TL speaker

But I'm still hoping, there's some good starting point drivers to experiment with.

Original woofer with bad foam
Click the image to open in full size.

Re-foam then add gasket

Restored to original but these REALLY need better drivers! Seems Ideal for a Full Range Driver

Manufacturer's manual

This is the interior

Old 24th June 2019, 04:56 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Need to know the vent dimensions and would like to know the driver offset from the closed end.

GM
Old 25th June 2019, 07:30 PM   #3
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

A suitable driver should have a decent X-max (say 3mm or more) and a Fr below 50 Hz and a Q around 0.3. That is with parameters as a driver for bass reflex driver: The two suggested Tangband look OK spec wise.
Old 25th June 2019, 08:23 PM   #4
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Given that it looks like they taper to the back, we would need to know the placement of the partition and the height of the opening at the top.

dave
Old 25th June 2019, 10:29 PM   #5
contractsman is offline contractsman  United States
diyAudio Member

Great input. I took some measurements:

Vent Dimensions are: 7.5 X 2.625 (2 5/8) = 28.125 square inches
The vent offset from the bottom is about 0.625 (5/8);
The vent opening from the top of the cabinet it's about 31.75"
+Click the image to open in full size.

Driver offset from the top of the cabinet is about 6"
(about 1.25 from each side and 23.75 from the bottom)

Regarding the placement of the partition, I'll need to take some more measurements...

Great info on the TB drivers. I'm definitely leaning towards trying one of those or maybe even one of their highly rated 5" models. I will look at the specs you mention.
Old 29th June 2019, 04:26 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

OK, thanks!

FWIW/FYI/future reference, we normally work off cutout/component center lines and inside dimensions [i.d.].

Anyway, I've got enough info to get an idea what sort of specs we need, though can't sim any until we've got those internal dims.

GM
Old 29th June 2019, 11:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Of this bunch, only the W6-2144 is in the 'ballpark'.

GM

Full-range Driver for Transmission Line Cabinet - Recommendations?Hide this!Advertise here!