which drivers might balance in Martin C. Poppe's K-coupler boombox ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The late Martin C. Poppe (20 Feb 1941 - 31 Oct 2016)
who wrote the K-Coupler paper, sketched this idea back in the late 1960's. I think it would need a peppy driver with rising on-axis response but also characteristics where venting would do some good. As envisioned, ts pretty large and don't know if the original intent was for a portable but that size would fit.

UKHD1Me.png

Freddi I feel bad when you start a thread and no one responds. Have you ever read the questions and answers while shopping on Amazon? A question will be asked about a product and someone will give the helpful reply "don't know". I think most of us here are smarter than that but don't know the answer so you get no replies. Is this something you're thinking of building? I'd think there's a number of 6 to 8" drivers that could be tried. Any you've got on hand?

the 8s (AN8 / 1772) I have may be loo large plus not sure if the outcome would be favorable - it might be serviceable ?. I do have some cheap and cheerful Sammisound 8 whizzer type with fairly strong motors which might work with a tweeter - -the affair would be pretty heavy. A Karlsonator boombox would be easier to figure out - but Poppe's idea looks cool and might provide some sense of stereo separation. Well braced 9mm plywood could work.

I've been thinking of ways to make a light, durable and cheap box. Foam board laminated to masonite or formica might work. I'd make the driver baffle from plywood for added stiffness and reinforce the edges. You can buy prefinished masonite but need to be careful during construction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.